Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Tips for a beginner FMQ-er? >

Any Tips for a beginner FMQ-er?

Any Tips for a beginner FMQ-er?

Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suern3
Leah Day has a wealth of information about FMQ, including how to set a your machine and table just to mention a couple. Go to her website, daystyle.com and then the links from there.
That is where I would send you too.

I recently took a class from the book "Machine Quilting Made Easy" by Maureen Noble. We did ALL the exercises in the book. What a difference!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 AM

I ordered " Stiples Made Easy" from Keepsake Quilting when I wanted to learn. It is a pattern with adhesive strips on the back. You just roll it out, stick it down and stitch over the pattern. Is a pain in the tush to pick all the paper out of the stitches when done, but I felt it was well worth it.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Practice, practice, practice. I tend to grind m teeth and not breathe! Learn to breathe, take a deep breath!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabethann
I would like to become a good FMQ. Not sure why it is important to me, but it is. i don't need to be great - but good would be nice :-)

Any tips? I read somewhere that you need to practice 20 minutes a day - for a bizzillion days (or something like that!). I have no problem with the practice part - just the bazzillion day part :P

Any tips for a newbie? Any patterns that would be good to start with to get the feel for things?

TIA
I bought a book, then another, then it was youtube, then I just started sewing. Made a bunch of square sandwiches and took off. It's getting better as I go along. If it's really going into a quilt, I'll mark with chalk or just meander or stipple or something simple. But, nothing get done till you put your foot on the pedal and start sewing. It's really fun.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:45 PM

You ladies are so amazing so many helpful hints. I feel so lucky to have found this board. Thank you and God Bless all of you.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:11 PM

This has been soooo helpful! My first attempt (last week) at FMQ was a disaster! Although it was just a practice sandwich, I was almost ready to give up. Now I know what I need to do - keep practicing and breathing. Many thanks.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:16 PM

And from one who is just doing this, took a class last week I have to say my shoulders and arms are killing me!! I practice every day, still looks like, well it's not good. thanks for asking the question, I got a lot out of it as well. Good luck and watch your shoulders!! :)
Old 04-24-2011, 02:53 PM

There are so many good hints and suggestions given for FMQ-Thanks! One idea that has improved my abilities is spending lots of time doodling on paper.I learned that even feathers are not really hard by penciling them over and over until my mind remembers the pattern and you've got it! And practice only improves it!! Don't be afraid of FMQ.Try it, it's not just for the young,and it's fun.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:42 PM

Woa, how did you put your Bernina at 1/2 speed? I'm always going to fast on mine (1968 I think) and got excited when I read your post about putting your machine at 1/2 speed. Help, information, appreciatd!
Lee
Old 04-25-2011, 06:10 AM

Actually, the time frame to get comfortable with FMQ and do a nice job is about 20 hrs of practice, over time, doesn't matter, your brain, eyes and hands learn to coordinate. One day you will realize that 'hey, I got it'.

My tip ... practice on a 6inch or 8 inch sandwich using one of Leah Day's designs and then you can even sew them together to create a place mat or wall hanging, whatever you like.

Look at the first link from Leah Day's blog and you can see where her quilting started, and how much she advanced quickly as she worked on her day by day designs. She shows great videos on how she FMQs. Lots of info

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...1_archive.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/freemotionquilting/page12/

Good luck!