Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any tips to make quilting more affordable for me? >

Any tips to make quilting more affordable for me?

Any tips to make quilting more affordable for me?

Old 09-13-2014, 06:44 PM

I live in Suffolk County on Long Island, NY, USA. I have to share that anyone who can get to Fabricade store on the south end of Veterans Memorial Highway, do so NOW!! There is an area at the back of the store where they keep boxes of end pieces, samples, large and small and now they are all FREE!! This is because the store is moving in December and they don't want to have to bring those odds and ends with them. They will give you a large shopping bag to fill up at NO CHARGE! I came home yesterday with about forty pounds of assorted fabrics!! It felt like Christmas!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:12 AM

I like plain backings so have started to use flat sheets; I like the ones from John Lewis so am happy to pay extra. If you prefer more colourful and patterned fabrics then maybe a cheap quilt cover would be a good idea and you would get two backings from the quilt cover. No idea about batting though as I've only used a LQS and Amazon neither of which were very cheap. Hope you find some good bargains!
Old 09-14-2014, 03:16 AM

I buy my batting by the roll fromLady Sew and Sew, they sometimes have deals, and its cheaper to buy a roll at a time. I also save all my scraps and join them together using a wide zig zag stitch. Check out sales for cotton sheets also super king size quilt covers. The quilt covers when split open give you enough backing for two large quilts. Also some of the UK online shops have 108"wide backing, register on the onlibe shops and they'll email you sales and special offers.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:08 AM

Hi

I second Fabric Guild in Leicester especially for batting. I also buy duvet sets from Ikea and you can often get 4 backings for lap size quilts from one set if you use the pillowcases. I have picked up some lovely ones for £10. Charity shops are great look for XL men's shirts and try to pick a day when they are selling them off for £1 each. The only thing I find hard to get at a cheaper price is decent thread.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:08 AM

I am a single mom too, so I know what you mean about the expense of quilting. I am in the US, so I may be completely off track here but I think it depends on what you are quilting for. I tend to just want to get behind my machine and sew. I do make some to give away, but not too many. Are there charities in your area? I LOVE Quilts for Kids. I don't know if they are international, but they are awesome. I would check into them. I love the idea of giving a quilt I made to a sick little boy or girl... even better they send me the fabric kits for free. I have to pay shipping to me and then the return shipping.. but Quilts for Kids supply the fabric and pattern. Then I just have to supply the thread, batting and my time. It works for me wonderfully and then I am helping a very nice charity as well.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:43 AM

I live in Canada and Warm & White or Warm & Natural batting is $34. meter. I ordered a roll from Joann's with a 50% off coupon and my end cost, including shipping, special handling & exchange on the dollar was $9.10/yard. I'll never buy batting here again even though a meter is about 3" longer than a yard it just doesn't make sense to buy it here. I would rather shop Canadian stores but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mamacandoit View Post
We're a single income family with four young kids and I haven't got a big craft budget at all.
I've almost finished my first quilt and even though it's only a lap quilt I'm dismayed by how expensive the materials have been.
i live in the UK which doesn't help as supplies tend to be expensive here.
ironically it's not the quilting cottons that are the problem as I only ever buy those on sale.
the batting and backing are expensive though!
Would any have any thrifty tips pls?

thank you!
I order online from Marshalls Dry Goods. Good prices !
Old 09-15-2014, 06:32 AM

I am so glad that Mamacandoit posted this thread. It has given me so many ideas, not only on ways to save a "pence" or two, but ways to make quilting simpler and more like the way our grandmother's did it. Frugally and functionally.

I can get caught up into being too much of a perfectionist and then I am too tied up in knots to get anything accomplished.