Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any tips for running the Jensen's freezer paper through a printer? >

Any tips for running the Jensen's freezer paper through a printer?

Any tips for running the Jensen's freezer paper through a printer?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Question Any tips for running the Jensen's freezer paper through a printer?

I want to start on a fairly intricate machine applique quilt and like to use the freezer paper technique for a turned edge. I have the Jensen's freezer paper sheets that are already sized like regular copy paper. What I don't know is if I should use our ink jet printer (afraid the ink will smear) or our black-ink laser printer. I am also concerned about jamming the printer as the sheets are considerably thicker than regular copier paper. I have read online that freezer paper should be fed a single sheet at a time to the printer, but can all printers do that? I only know how to load a stack of sheets in the printer.

This is different from printing on fabric; I don't want to do that. I want to print directly onto the dull side of the freezer paper, then cut my templates from that.

Edit: For those who might not know, Jensen's is a heavier, pre-cut freezer paper that I really like. I used regular Reynold's freezer paper for years and never thought the Jensen's would be worth it to me, but now that I have tried Jensen's it's hard to go back to regular freezer paper.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:01 PM

i've ruined a printer before doing this, so don't take my advise. I trace mine with a light box.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Hmmmm. A thought just occurred to me, as I don't want to ruin a printer. Maybe I should print on regular paper and adhere that to the dull side of the freezer paper. I have some adhesive applicators that work really well on paper-to-paper:
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Adhesiv...ilpage_o00_s00

Edit: For anyone interested, I also hate cutting out the paper templates. I haven't tried this yet with the Jensen's, but with regular freezer paper I layer 5 or so blank pieces with the traced one on top, iron around the outside edges so they all stick together, and then cut. This usually yields 5 or 6 templates from one cutting. The Jensen's is so much heavier, I could probably only do 2 or 3 layers. Obviously regular freezer paper is more efficient if you need many copies of the same pattern, but Jensen's might work better when I need only one or two copies. Will have to do some experimenting......

Last edited by Prism99; 05-12-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:01 PM

Do not use your laser printer. The fuser is super hot and the adhesive side of the freezer paper will stick to the inside of your printer.

Printing on regular paper then fusing it to the freezer paper sounds like a plan.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:39 PM

my printer does not have a single sheet feed so I have to load one sheet at a time in the tray when I use the freezer paper, or even to print photos, it's a pain but "whatcha gonna do?"
Old 05-12-2016, 02:08 PM

Why not do what the people that print on fabric? They iron the fabric to the top of the freezer paper - the end that pulls it into the printer, and let it go through that way. You could do the same with a piece of paper on the shiny side of the freezer paper. Then at least you could use the same piece of paper for several pieces of freezer paper.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:48 PM

Some printers have a setting for heavier paper. Go to print, then properties, then features and there should be a list of different types of paper that you can use. There are special settings for iron on transfers which will probably work.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I have an older Hp 932C and I won't run anything thru it but paper. What I do when transferring a stencil to be a different size, first print the resize stencil then machine quilt without thread following the lines with multi copies of tracing paper underneath. I want to get to my Westie applique quilt and I am going to make a copy of the paper and then iron it onto freezer paper and then cut out the pieces. Just a thought.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Do you mean Jenkins freezer paper. I'm not finding Jensen's.