Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are any of you using the SEW EASY Ruler Cutter? >

Are any of you using the SEW EASY Ruler Cutter?

Are any of you using the SEW EASY Ruler Cutter?

Old 08-03-2014, 11:06 AM

Default Are any of you using the SEW EASY Ruler Cutter?

I bought this a couple of weeks ago from Quilt In A Day, when it was on sale. I don't understand but it just tears up my fabric. Have changed the blade and that didn't help. Any ideas before I send it back for a refund?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:12 AM

Are you holding it down when you cut? How many layers are you trying to cut at a time and is the fabric even?

I did notice that I had to make sure I had enough pressure to make sure it cuts through all the layers. Other than that I like it for cutting just a few strips. I sort of wish it was wider to make 6.5" strips.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

It looks kind of like what Fiskars made and I don't think it was very successful since they discontinued making them. I just bought one of the ex-Large Hex punches and guess what, I wouldn't even cut thru computer paper !! Are you trying to work on your Bargello quilt?? PM me!!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:57 PM

Yes, I am holding it down, and running it up the fabric- only 1 fold off fabric. Thank heavens I decided to practice on scraps. Think I will send it back.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
It looks kind of like what Fiskars made and I don't think it was very successful since they discontinued making them. I just bought one of the ex-Large Hex punches and guess what, I wouldn't even cut thru computer paper !! Are you trying to work on your Bargello quilt?? PM me!!

You must have a bad punch. I have the X large Fiskars hex punch and can punch cardstock with ease. Fiskars has excellent customer service. Just contact them for a replacement. I have the original Fiskars ruler with rotary attached. It works fine. It does two layers with ease and cuts clean and crisp. I was offered $100 for it from a vendor at a quilt show that uses one to cut yardage at the show. She buys everyone she can find on Ebay. $100 isn't going to change my life so I kept it. I haven't tried the new one.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:37 PM

I have the Fiskars strip cutter and like it a lot. I have no trouble cutting through several layers at a time. I use it only for cutting strips.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:31 PM

I have the Sew Easy ruler cutter and have no trouble. I have cut four layers with out any trouble.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:51 PM

I bought one quite a few years ago and just love it. I use it to cut all my quilting fabric and wonder how I managed before.

You must have consistent pressure and a sharp blade. Good luck with it.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:23 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I find that the Sew Easy Cutter skips so I run it up and back down but even then I may need to clip a few threads. I do only one fold of fabric and make sure the mat is on a flat surface. Frankly, for the amount of pressure I have to use, I am kind of disappointed, especially for the money they cost. Any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:43 PM

I've got the Fiskars version sold several years ago. I love it. I position myself so I can put consistent firm pressure as I press down. If I let up the pressure it will skip cutting all the way through in some areas. I do 4-6 layers at a time without problems if I use firm pressure.