Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody done a t-shirt quilt???

Blog Entries
    I need help. Show me some pictures girls. Give me some ideas. I have never seen a t-shirt quilt and somebody wants me to make one. I want it to be more than just fronts of t-shirts sewed together. Put your heads together and give me some input . Thanks

Until you see what type of shirts they are - how much is printed and how much solid, you really can't tell. Usually, you want to optimize the designs on them. If you have 80% dark, and 20% light, or other percentages that work, you can make sub-patterns. you may want to look at stabilizers, too.

Most of the nice ones are one of a kind, designed to reflect the personality of the owner.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Moonpi. I think I understand what you are talking about. What is a stabilizer though? I just picked up quilting a few years ago and most of what I know is self taught. I learn quickly when shown something but telling me something somehow some gets lost in the translation. I can look at a picture and see what has to be done but reading directions throws me a loop. I will wait and see what she brings me. I just was wondering if you sash them or just sort of cut to fit. Luckily for me she only wants a good size throw and not a big quilt.

Blog Entries
    Hi - Here's a quilt with t-shirt components, made for a specific person, with a specific theme. We used light weight stabilizer and it worked great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I helped make a T-shirt quilt for one of the GWRRA members that lost her husband. She had his t-shirts from different meets. We cut the front of each shirt into a 12 inch sq. then put lightweight stablizer on it. We just sewed the squares together, put a light batting in the middle. Then we used a sheet for the back. We tied it, using crotchet thread. It was a queen size quilt. She was very pleased with it. If I can find a picture of it, I will post it.

I haven't done one personally, but this site has some wonderful pictures and directionson how to make one.

http://www.goosetracks.com/TshirtQuilt.html

Here is the t-shirt quilt I made.. as a matter of fact it should be back from the quilters TODAY!!!!!

Just pm if you need help with this one!

There is a fun book "Terrific Tees" by Roberta DeLuz. I have not made anything from her book yet though.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the great pictures and links. I think I have a good idea now. My only question is about How bad is it to stretch during quilting?

Tshirt fabric is knit, not woven, so it stretches in all directions. The stabilizer we are talking about irons on to keep it in place so you can sew it accurately. It is sold at fabric stores, with various brand names and thicknesses, ususlly white or black. For this purpose, you'd want the iron-on kind.

If iron on stabilizer gets separated from the plastic wrapper, you can still tell the glue side because it is shinier. Place the shiny glue side against the back of the t-shirt, and have fun.

Blog Entries
    Thanks! I feel a little more confident that I can do it now. I appreciate all the great input and have learned some things. Thanks again.

I PM'd you, but just in case you don't get the alert, look on the PICTURES section of this forum. I bumped up the post I put on last year of the tee shirt quilt I made. I don't have the picture stored on my computer any longer, but it is still on this forum.

I have made and long arm quilted 4 t-shirt quilts in the past year and here's what I do!

Measure the image of every t-shirt that you want to use in the quilt. (Mine were 15 inches at the largest) I used an iron on fusible interfacing-Stacy by Pellon-that I bought at Joanns, black for harley quilts and white for a college girls t-shirt. Cut the interfacing a little larger than the image of each shirt and iron it on the back of the shirt and I used a dampened pressing cloth too. Then cut from the front of the shirt the size you want.what you want. I added 2 1/2" sashing strips on the side of each shirt (if they were 15"), wider for smaller shirts. I tried to make each shirt turn out to be the same size in the end. Then I added 2 1/2" sashings between the rows. then I sewed the rows together and added a 2 1/2" border around the whole thing, a contrasting 1 1/2" border and then a 6 1/2" border, meander quilted and machine binding to finish it.

Hope that helps! I will try to post later today the latest quilt I just finished last Friday!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the good info and the pictures. It looks like it is off to Handcocks I go. Man, I just get sick everytime I can't get my stuff at Wal-Mart anymore. Our store quit handling fabric and most of the sewing things so I have to travel a little farther. I can't just run into town anymore.

My husband is "demanding" a Harley t-shirt quilt for himself one day soon; nicely demanding. We found this picture during a Google search and he'd like me to make one very similar for him:

[IMG]http://www.pioneerquiltingmemories.c...ey-t-shirt.gif[/IMG]

My mom has been working on a few for a woman on her mail route. She puts heavy stablizer on the backs and makes sure they are uniform in size. I'll try to get a pic posted---I'm not able to get on here too much lately but I'll try to post some pics tonight when I drop my sister back off at her house :)!

Blog Entries
    That one is nice. I see why everybody wants one. I may make one for myself while I am at it.

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I made a t-shirt quilt for a lady who loved ladybugs. I also used a stabilizer on the back of the squares and I also used the backs of the t-shirts to help make the quilt larger. I embroidered some ladybugs on the blank backs.

Blog Entries
    Love the lady bugs. Sometimes I wonder if there isn't anything that you can't find somewhere on a t-shirt. Your quilt is so cute. I know she just loved it. Lucky gal. Hope this lady brings me some cool t-shirts to work with after seeing all of yours. I definitely will get the stabilizer.

Check out the pics of the Harley-Davidson T-shirt quilt over in the Pictures section of this board!

Quote Originally Posted by vjquilter
    I have made and long arm quilted 4 t-shirt quilts in the past year and here's what I do!

Measure the image of every t-shirt that you want to use in the quilt. (Mine were 15 inches at the largest) I used an iron on fusible interfacing-Stacy by Pellon-that I bought at Joanns, black for harley quilts and white for a college girls t-shirt. Cut the interfacing a little larger than the image of each shirt and iron it on the back of the shirt and I used a dampened pressing cloth too. Then cut from the front of the shirt the size you want.what you want. I added 2 1/2" sashing strips on the side of each shirt (if they were 15"), wider for smaller shirts. I tried to make each shirt turn out to be the same size in the end. Then I added 2 1/2" sashings between the rows. then I sewed the rows together and added a 2 1/2" border around the whole thing, a contrasting 1 1/2" border and then a 6 1/2" border, meander quilted and machine binding to finish it.

Hope that helps! I will try to post later today the latest quilt I just finished last Friday!

Brazen, your tshirt quilt looks great!! I just made one and am about to do another as we type:))I could not do the straight blocks like brazen's...she(my kid) had waaaay too many tshirts, her name, etc to put in this quilt. I did mine backwards:))I started out putting a 2 1/2" border around a few of the tshirts before I realized that there was no way they all would fit! Unless I wanted to cover my whole state w/this quilt!:)So, I set it on the floor and puzzled them and added 3 sides of borders on some, etc. I took about 20 of them that had smaller print on the front and cut them all the same size and actually turned them so they run sideways across the top of the quilt. I then quilted it doing the stippling and did not run across the rubber stamping on the fronts for I didn't want to leave holes. Some were too thick in print. I won't post a pic for there is too much personal info w/school names etc. I used a bright girlie plaid for the borders around the shirts and yes, I used a stabilizer to thicken the tshirts and make them firm. Much easier to work with that way. Hope this helps...trial and error is always a good thing:))Skeat

Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    Brazen, your tshirt quilt looks great!!
    Hey! I wish I could claim that quilt that I posted as mine, but I can't!! It's one that my husband found when he was Googling "Harley t-shirt quilts". He wants me to reproduce it and make one like it for HIM. But I haven't done it yet. :D

I'm working on a t-shirt quilt right now. All of the logos were different sizes, so I used the company colors and made blocks to add to the logo blocks so that they would all be uniforms in size. I bought a variety of fat quarters in the same family of colors. I did flying geese, 9-patch, windmill, log cabin, rail fence, etc. I really is looking nice. I wish that I could send pics. Then I used the same fabric for the sashing and backing. It's a small plaid that reads solid from afar.

Blog Entries
    Pictures! WE WAnt Pictures!

I only WISH I could send pictures. I tell you -- I'm a doe-doe when it comes to the computer and my digital camera. (I'm stuck in the 50s). DH says that as soon as the tail grows (bank acct.) we'll get a new 'puter. [We've just bought a new stove, fridge, and TV.] I'm told my computer is not compatible to my camera.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast