Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone buying wholesale? Batting by the roll or package?

Anyone buying wholesale? Batting by the roll or package?

Good afternoon ladies, I am just starting a small business to quilt for others so I am looking for some place to buy batting and other items at wholesale prices. I will be buying some material for custom orders but plan to concentrate more on quilting so will be buying batting. Where is a reliable place to order supplies? I live in a small town so anything I buy will have to be delivered to me so I also am concerned about shipping costs. Also, do you have any suggestions regarding whether to buy batting by the roll or individual packages?

I buy mine from JoAnn's when I have a 50% off coupon...I don't know if they would have it in the online store or not, and don't have a clue if they would ship it free. Maybe someone else can add more to this...good luck!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

DJ
    I don't know anything about ordering Wholesale. I did order batting from JoAnns last week. I think I saw some offered on the bolt. They were having a 40% off sale, plus I had a code for free shipping. I only ordered a couple of packages, but did have to order over $35 to get the free shipping. Good luck with your endeavor.

I ordered a roll last fall. It's nice to have one big roll --- however, you REALLY need room for it! I put it under the longarm on a bar ----- that didn't work, it was in my way. I laid it on my cutting table, however it's just too big! When this is gone I may go back to packages unless DH gives me more room off my shop for it!!!

As for Joann's 50% off coupon --- a friend of mine bought a roll at Joann's, online, with 50% off coupon and got free shipping!!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Quilt batting

I've bought from marshall's dry goods. You can buy on line. I've been happy.

If you have the room I prefer roll batting as many of the packages battings are too wrinkled to use straight from the package - you need to fluff them in the dryer or open them up and let them rest overnight. The exceptions are Quilter's Dream and Hobbs Tuscany which are folded instead of rolled up tight so they aren't so bad.

Wholesale sources: Brewer Sewing Supply, Checker Distributors, Rubenstein & Ziff, Quilter's Dream, United Notions/Moda, EE Schenck, Notions Marketing, Kingsmen Quilting Supply are just a few. Not sure where you are but Google these and find one near you to reduce on shipping costs.

Heartbeat Quilting and Kingsmen are the two places I've found with the best prices, shipping and customer service.
    jackie

If you have a tax ID you can buy from Quilter's Dream. Also they offer rolls in different widths. This is the only batting I handle. Most places require tax ID to set up wholesale accounts. I formed an LLC so the business has separate liability insurance etc. from the farm.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    If you have a tax ID you can buy from Quilter's Dream.
    Quilters Dream will not drop ship a roll if you are IN Virginia ordering for shipment to Virginia. We have an Atlanta friend order for us and then they'll ship to us here in VA. Weird.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

And if you are in the UK - Kaleidoscope (www.kalquilts.com) out of Glasgow sells rolls with no delivery charge for orders over 10.

Blog Entries
    the warm & natural company will sell to you too---if you have a business set up- & a tax id- you need that in order to buy wholesale... if you are set up as a business with a tax id you can order whole sale from most any company that sells wholesale...which means any batting you find in other stores. i have ordered from the Warm Company in the past- the shipping was not bad- (they are in Washington state, i'm in Michigan)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

BMP
    Blog Entries
    My friend has a LA business I am going to pass along some of this info to her..Thanks

I have ordered from Create for Less and have been happy - they have batting rolls in different widths.

Sue

What good information! I am going to look into this, too.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Quilters Dream will not drop ship a roll if you are IN Virginia ordering for shipment to Virginia. We have an Atlanta friend order for us and then they'll ship to us here in VA. Weird.Jan in VA
    It would appear that Quilters Dream, a Virginia company, has not figured out how to NOT charge taxes when they sell to qualified instate resellers? That just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 03-08-2012 at 05:44 AM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries

Buying wholesale

Quote Originally Posted by Okie-dokey View Post
    Good afternoon ladies, I am just starting a small business to quilt for others so I am looking for some place to buy batting and other items at wholesale prices. I will be buying some material for custom orders but plan to concentrate more on quilting so will be buying batting. Where is a reliable place to order supplies? I live in a small town so anything I buy will have to be delivered to me so I also am concerned about shipping costs. Also, do you have any suggestions regarding whether to buy batting by the roll or individual packages?
    I buy all of my quilting supplies from Brewers . Goole them and you should find them.

Fabric.com an over 35.00 is free shipping

In the past I bought whole rolls from Joann's. I used free shipping and or the % off coupons.
    Anna Quilts

Thanks so much for the lists of wholesale dealers; now I need to get on line and find which ones will ship to me. I already have a tax ID and business set up but have not bought many supplies yet. I just retired so am working on getting rested and then my house cleaned before I jump into something else. I don't plan on working fulltime but needed to be set up as a business to be able to attend vender shows. Hopefully, I'll be able to attend in Kansas City in May and Houston in Oct.

Blog Entries
    Try this site. They sell just about everything. Both in rolls and packages. Look closely and you will find a lot of items with free shipping.

http://www.batt-mart.com/

My thought also.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    It would appear that Quilters Dream, a Virginia company, has not figured out how to NOT charge taxes when they sell to qualified instate resellers? That just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.

www.checkerdistributors.com out of Maumee, Ohio, bff deals only with them for batting, notions etc. do your homework!
    katz

Blog Entries
    The fabric manager at a Walmart near me will order Warm and Natural on the bolt for me. It's cheaper from Walmart then from a wholesaler. I bet Walmart gets it super cheap to sell it cheap to make a profit. Marshall's Dry Goods online has great assortment of batting in the huge rolls. Too big a roll for me to store. Give them a call. The staff is super nice. Ask for Sharon. She is in charge of bolt sales to shops.
    Got fabric?

If you have a tax num er dream cotton sells wholesale and is excellent quality and has good service.

Blog Entries
    I usually buy a roll at JoAnn's - but will check Walmart. I keep the roll at the foot of the bed in the guest room and move it to the sewing room when company comes.
    Quilting in the Desert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast