Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Anyone Cramming to Get a Quilt Finished for a Christmas Present?

Every year it seams I'm cramming to get the quilt gifts done. This year in Jan, I browsed through patterns, books, this board, and surfed the net getting ideas for Christmas this year. By the end of Jan, I had my list of recipients and patterns and then through Feb got the fabric and started a couple of them. By the first of September all were done! I loved not having the stress and plan on doing the same for 2013.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Like Feathers-N-Fur, I'm trying to finish a quilt that I "gave" last year! I had finished a pretty log cabin top in the fall of 2011, and when my sister and brother-in-law were here @ Christmas, I let them unwrap the top, with the promise that I would do the quilting and send it to California where they live. Well, they'll be back this year (I live in WI) and yep, I've only sewn my stabilizing seams...one of which bunched up right at the exact quilt center and had to get ripped out. Probably my fault; I don't think I had the layers taut enough when pinning, so doing SITD with a decorative stitch made everything wonky! Bleh. I kinda can't wait until it's done and gone, lol!
    ~*~quilting4five~*~

Ran out of time to do anything (too much going on in our life) -- will have to start working hard in January.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
    Heck no. I don't have the tree up, haven't decorated or wrapped presents. Sure not sewing for anyone.
    This is where I am right now. Sick and barely functioning.

Blog Entries
    yes I am must finish hand sewing a binding on one and another to pin baste today quilt and bind by Monday I use my Bernina for quilting and with other things going will be some long hours 5 more days then we crash

Yesterday I finished hand quilting the batik sampler shown in my avatar. It took me five days to do all the SID. It came out great and is now hanging up in the hallway so I can see it every time I pass by. I did want it done this week.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I am trying to finish 2 quilts, one for SIL & one for GS. Also daughter decided I need to applique some pillow cases for GD. Not sure everything will get done, but I'm trying

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    OVERACHIEVER! lol. congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    Put the last label on the last quilt this afternoon. I made 8 quilts for presents this year.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

"I'm Trying" is my new mantra. Lord I SWEAR I will plan better this year. . .

Quote Originally Posted by psthreads View Post
    I am trying to finish 2 quilts, one for SIL & one for GS. Also daughter decided I need to applique some pillow cases for GD. Not sure everything will get done, but I'm trying

That is BEAUTIFUL! I would want it where I could admire my handywork also. That's some serious flying geese there. again, not my strong suit, no matter which method I try. any tips? please

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    Yesterday I finished hand quilting the batik sampler shown in my avatar. It took me five days to do all the SID. It came out great and is now hanging up in the hallway so I can see it every time I pass by. I did want it done this week.

Finished one late last night...checked my list and there's another I haven't even started. Yikes, I don't even have the fabric!
    marcia

To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

Blog Entries
    The one by "newestnana" above would be given to the one wanting it in a pretty package, pattern and fabric, with a handwritten promise for next year--and I would start on it the week after New Year's. I have a friend up the road who did just that last year (we quilt together and visit with each other off and on all through the year)--and she put it on the long arm and finished it about a week ago......done in time nevertheless. I can't do all those cute little smiley faces, etc. or I would put one here.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

I quit... use to worry and push myself... now it is what it is. I would rather be late or substitute something else until I can get it done right

I am only on my second quilt, (though I have a couple of other quilt tops started), but I think I will not make any promises and therefore if I make something for someone it is a surprise and not a "half to" or a request. I think if someone requests a quilt it needs to be done any other time of the year beside Christmas. Between work, home, husband, children, grandchildren, and other commitments there just isn't enough time to please everyone! Just remember life is too short. If all else fails give the gift unfinished with a note that you will finish and get it to them asap!

Blog Entries
    I am getting one back from the quilters tomorrow, so I need to do the binding, hopefully before Christmas. Then there is the one at home that I need to bind, preferably for Christmas. May not happen. Days always seem to run out before the work is done.

I have 2 to quilt & bind. Hope they are done in time!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a lap quilt I designed for my DD that needs sandwiched and quilted--but my Mom went into hospital for what will be her final trip on Tues and so leaving town tomorrow to sit with her until she passes. Giving the top to my daughter with note of what it will look like when finished--I have great kids that truly understand why I probably won't be home at Christmas with them and their families.

Oh I have several I'm cramming to finish.....in my mind's eye!! One thing I've learned about me, is that I am always off in my estimate of how long things will take. So, I just slow down and do it as it comes...tremendous relief.

Blog Entries
    I have the binding attached on a queen size quilt but need to finish the "hand" work to the back by December 26th. Just a couple of nights in front of the television should get it done...

good luck to all of you who have more to accomplish!

My DH will get an unfinished quilt. But once he sees it Christmas morning I will finish it pretty quickly. I know how i'm going to quilt it. That is always my biggest challenge.

Blog Entries
    I ended up with tops...will quilt them after Christmas in order to let them pick out their quilting patterns. That's my story. Yep.
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

I sewed the label on the last quilt tonight. Finished the last of 20 pillowcases too. Relief is spelled "DONE". I've been way behind this year. Finally found my Christmas spirit and put up a small (4 ft) tree and decorated it the day before yesterday. Hung the wreathes on the doors and set out a few knick knacks.

Hope everyone gets done in time. I think I need to start earlier for next year - like Dec 26 of this year.

Cramming to get a quilt finished? Nope!

Nope... I had a lady come and have me make three pillows with four photos on each...she didn't expect prior to Christmas...but she is a good customer & very prominent in the community...so I put those first, besides her siblings are a lot older than she is...wanted to get the the pillows while they could enjoy them.

I have three more customer quilts..told them after the holidays...not a problem.

Seven baby quilts...told them I'd get them to them after Christmas (these are gifts from me...only one is delivered already...baby born Dec 14)...the others are due in Feb - March...so they will get right after Christmas...I only have two to go, others waiting for binding, or are done and I won't mail till after the Christmas rush at the post office.

Out of these seven babies...only one is a boy...our great grandson! Alexander will get two quilts...one his mom picked colors for & one I pick the colors for (she asked for muted foresty colors...what? lol).

Oh, and I have a big tub of fabrics from shirts, pants, sweats, and a couple caps...oh, and some white leather from a car seat.. those are for two memory quilts...but the lady has to get the rest of her pics to me...and I also told her after the holidays.

I did one for her two years ago...she is wanting more of the same..keep the paint spot...keep the hole, lol.
    Her hubby was an antique car buff...and these are his "play" clothes. Each spot has a memory attached.

Marge
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

I wanted to finish quilting my parents quilt so I could give it to them on Christmas eve. I lost 8 days during the hurricane with no light or heat and just lost another week with a sprained wrist. I slipped on a piece of apple at school and sprained my wrist and ankle. I was quilting the other night and my wtrist was bothering me.

I will get it done during break. It is worth worrying about

Quiltshorttimer I am sorry to hear about your mother. You are in my thought and prayers.
    Last edited by donac; 12-21-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Oh yeah! Bound 4 quilts yesterday, 3 twin size for grandsons and one queen size for son. They had been back from quilter for several months but just waited for last minute to bind them! Still have a king size to quilt for sister-in-law and a quilt as you go to finish sewing 3 rows together for my brother-in-laws 50th birthday on 12/27. Hope to finish all this week end or the last two will have be after New Year's week end. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
    Sharon
    God Bless You!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast