Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else "sign" their quilts? >

Anyone else "sign" their quilts?

Anyone else "sign" their quilts?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Banned

I have been signing the doll quilts, but they are not that great to be signing, when I get better, maybe it will fill more importian to do. God bless.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:18 PM

I lsbel every quilt. Sometimes I make a label, sometimes I use one of the ones that come printed on fabric. It doesn't matter how you do it, just so you do it. I have a bunch of my mother's quilts and she didn't sign them. Now we don't know when she made them and if they ever get out of the immediate family they won't even know who made them. You can also print them on your inkjet printer, but do take the time to label them.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:26 AM

Quilters, please put a signature or label on your quilts...I have a quilt that dates back to '47 with two blocks in it with my Mom's signature and have no idea why the quilt was made, or whose it was. That is making me nuts! My Mom was the last of her generation so I have to guess that it belonged to a sister or maybe a friend.
An appraiser on one of those antique road shows said that a quilt was automatically worth up to $2to3 hundred bucks with an informational label sewn on it.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:01 AM

When my mother passed away we went through her quilts an found an old quilt with no label, however we were able to identify the maker because she used a piece of backing that had a dyeing flaw across the top. My mother would never have used such a piece of fabric, but Aunt Elsie would because she hated to waste anything so we knew who made it. Otherwise it would have been passed through the family and no one would have had any idea who the maker was.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:11 AM

I sign and date everything I do. I have a few quilts that Mother left us and I do not know the ones she did or the ones my grandmother did. Would love to know. I sign all mine so my children and grand children will know just who put all that love and time into that quilt. LOL
Old 10-03-2010, 06:14 AM

I quilt a heart plus my intials in the quilting. I started with the heart quite a few years ago, since I think you put your heart into every quilt. I have a friend that puts a spider/cob web on her quilt `cause it takes her that long to finish.I don`t always put on a label, But I have tagged the binding on the backside with a fine marker. Not a obvious as a label, but still puts on the important info.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:36 AM

In a quilting magazine I once read - and bought into the idea - that all quilts should be signed and dated, along with the pattern name, fiber content, the city where it was sewn, by hand or machine, special care instructions; all possible info. The reason being that quilts are handed down thru generations and, since we're a mobile society, they can move from state to state/country. Even if it's sold at a garage sale, I feel it's important to have an informational label on it. Some day, tho we're not always so sure about some of our work today, it could be someone's entry on Antiques Road Show! If one feels this is all too wordy to fit on an attractive label, make the label a pocket, slipping the extra info inside - securely attached so it cannot be easily removed.
Having a logo - now, that's a good idea; hiding it is.....clever. It all sounds a wee bit egotistical but that piece took a lot of thought, love, work, $$$, etc.; it's worth crowing about.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:56 AM

I sign some not all. I would like to do a better job of signing them all. My oldest DGD has a few I know I did not sigh:(
Old 10-03-2010, 03:38 PM

I always sign my quilts with "Dia do bheatha". It's irish for God bless your life.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by moonangel12
...... DH came up with the symbol b/c he said that oftentimes when our lives are spiraling out of control, it's nice to just curl up under a quilt to pray/think/cry. I didn't know if it was a common thing to do or not.
This is such an awesome thought. Give that DH of yours a great big hug.
I told him that you all liked it, gotta boost the ego a little bit every now and then :wink: He is a pretty creative guy though, I guess it's that engineering mindset.

Oh, and marking quilts is a good idea, too. I made one for a lady that was supposed to be a baby shower gift and a few months later saw a posting on craigslist with a picture of it used as an example for HER work :evil: We had a few heated emails exchanged (once she finally got back with me) and she finally pulled the listing... but still insisted that she did nothing wrong. Made me so mad! I know I signed it in permanent ink and was so happy I did!