Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric? >

anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric?

anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
Anyone remember the days that the fabric was clipped by scissors then with two hands ripped so the fabric would be straight? Or, was she just the madd madd fabric ladie of J C Penny's? hah! Yes, that is where I got my fabric for my "Marsha Marsha" Brady clothes I made.
I still snip and rip from my larger pieces to get a straight of grain. It is much easier to rotary cut a piece that is an inch or so larger than the strips you need - instead of trying to cut from a 3 yard piece.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
So, I get the idea, you don't like this.. haha..
OK, can you tell them "please don't rip my fabric." I would..
Hmm, I wasn't sure if I was clear LOL :lol: Ha! Nope, neither store will cut it. I get the same reasoning "keeps it on the grain"
Old 04-12-2011, 07:02 AM

I nip and tear to even fabruc and to take off salvages.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 AM

Don't have to remember too far back. Houston Street Merchantile here still clips and rips and we always have straight and perfect yards. Love tot hear the Riiiiipppppp.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 AM

I always tear to get a straight grain. My fabric store doesn"t tear, and there have been many times that I have lost as much as four inches , if I reven both cut rends, but I seem to always lose as much as 1 1/2 to 2 inches. The little distortion at the tear can normally be corrected by dampening and ironing. I"d rather waste that 1/4 inch than 2 inches! I always pre-wash also. And yes, I remember those days and the meters well!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by lscho4jm
That is intersting. i always learn something from this board.
what about stretching the fabric as you tear it? I have no clue, so just asking.
So far, my "modern" experiences are scissored cuttings. Even in my LQS.
Just a mind burp this AM and remembering the tightly "coiffed" hairred lady of J C Pennys. (late 1960's)
Thanks for teaching us something.
Actually, I prefer cut to ripped. Just a preference to keep the fabric from being stretched out.[/quote]

The idea is that it will tear on the straight of grain. Have you ever noticed that some "cuts" do not line up correctly? At least if it is torn, you can tell just how much has already been stretched out of shape when the fabric was rolled on to the bolts.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
I always tear to get a straight grain. My fabric store doesn"t tear, and there have been many times that I have lost as much as four inches , if I reven both cut rends, but I seem to always lose as much as 1 1/2 to 2 inches. The little distortion at the tear can normally be corrected by dampening and ironing. I"d rather waste that 1/4 inch than 2 inches! I always pre-wash also. And yes, I remember those days and the meters well!
Love you clem! Yes, yes! I have asked clerks to tear it for me and they just don't understand the why. One even told me that tearing the fabric was not a store policy. I think it is meant to intimidate the unsuspecting consumer to purchase additional yardage. Ah, the good ol' days. :thumbup:
Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I also remember those days.

I have learned to check for grain line on fabric before buying it now.

I look at the back of the fabric and see how the threads line up.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM

I worked for several years for a Bernina dealer who also did custom dressmaking and alterations. The shop also made things like curtins and decorative pillows etc. I was taught to pull a thread to make sure the fabric was straight. It makes a lot of difference in the finished product. 'Curtins, drapes and garments are all about straing of grain.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Nip and rip for me, please! All the LQS I frequent do this; Joanne's is the only place I know of in town that cuts. So, when I get their material home I rip it myself to set everything to rights and find out how much I was shorted. :S