Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone ever hire someone to organize their fabric? >
  • Anyone ever hire someone to organize their fabric?

• Anyone ever hire someone to organize their fabric?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 AM

I love my clutter...it's sorta organized. At least I think so. I couldn't bear to have someone in there messing with my mess.
    Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 AM

Funny you should ask - I'm working on mine. I got Sterlite "shoe box" size boxes for all my fats & labeled them w/index cards as to hand dyes, batiks & plain cottons. Then sorted into color groups within the boxes. Got all the hand dyes & batiks washed too. Found fabrics to take to my guild for donation quilts. I keep the boxes in a bookcase behind the door to my sewing room. Still have another book case to do but this has worked well for me. I loved handling all the fabric that I loved when I picked it out & it brought back memories of why I selected it. I'd love to help you sort yours but I need to be a few hundred miles closer. Have fun & send pics when you're done.
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:42 AM

The love of my life organized my stash one day when I was at work, since it looked all messy. Here's what she did: She took all of the stacks of fabric that were left sitting together since I planned to use them together, and organized them by color, each in its own bin or basket. She took all of the works-in-progress and stacked up the works, and put all of the fabrics for those quilts---cut pieces and all----in the bins by color. She did the same thing for cross stitch projects that were in process, and even closed the magazines/leaflets so they would stack more neatly. Put all of the embroidery thread (even some with threaded needles) in three cookie tins, by color.

I didn't commit any violence; all I could say was "Thank you! It looks great!" OK, so it did look great but it took me months to find everything....especially since, if it was a multicolored fabric, she put it in with any one of the colors in it....not the main color.

Later I told her to please not touch it again or I would reorganize her entire purse (keys, glasses, iPhone and all) off the nearest bridge with deep water under it. She got my point.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!! GET A FRIEND TO COME KEEP YOU COMPANY WHILE YOU DO IT INSTEAD!!!!
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 AM

Oh---and don't try to organize it while you're tired either....trust me, I know.
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 AM

I love to play with fabric, wish I could come and help!!! :D
    Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 AM

no
    Old 07-15-2011, 08:36 AM

I bought the book Organizing Solutions for Every Quilter: An Illustrated Guide to the Space of Your Dreams by Carolyn Woods.

I also purchased the mesh basket system from Ikea to store my fabric in. Best investment I ever made.

It has been amazing!!!! Good luck and keep your head up and take it a few minutes at the time.
    Old 07-15-2011, 08:48 AM

I am bartering a quilt for help organizing my sewing room,I would rather sew.
    Old 07-15-2011, 08:52 AM

What a great idea! If I lived closer you could hire me. I get paid to organize offices. I never thought to offer my services to organize fabric/crafts. Super!
    Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 AM

If you have a couple of friends who are in the same mess, messy sewing room, get together and work on one room at a time. One pressing, another folding and one putting it on the shelf, or stacking it so it can be organized by color. It is more fun doing it with others so you can chat and laugh while working. Take a break once in awhile with drinks and a snack. Just a thought! Jan