Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone ever take a sewing machine on cruise? >

Anyone ever take a sewing machine on cruise?

Anyone ever take a sewing machine on cruise?

Old 10-31-2015, 04:42 PM
Banned

A sewing machine draws less power than most anything else in your home. I'm sure the outlets on the ship can handle it. I say, go for it. If you don't use it, at least you were prepared. Better than not taking it and wishing you had.

Cari
Old 10-31-2015, 05:55 PM

I took an English paper piecing project (grandmother's flower garden, lucy boston or something similar) that is done by hand and got quite a bit done. It was easy to take anywhere on the cruise ship or while docked. And it meant that I could sit on deck. I found the stateroom to be rather boring honestly and only spent time in there to sleep or change clothes on both cruises I have been on. But we also did shopping and excursions while in each port.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:03 PM

I've been on 2 quilting cruises... used my machine both in the dedicated room for our group and in my stateroom. Take it, use it if you find the time... if not, no big deal.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:00 PM

I agree with the last few posts, take it along. My trip to MI a few wks ago I took books, hand work, yarn, etc. All so I would have something to do. This trip I was to busy to do anything except finish 1 book but I had it there, just in case.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by mlt150 View Post
I would love to finish some Christmas gifts, but not sure the power source can handle a Janome 3160.
I would think the contact for the cruise line would be the place to ask about the power. Nothing worse than having the time and stewing over what you could be doing. To many people, sewing is a pleasure and form of recreation. Perhaps you can do most of the cutting at home, which would mean less to pack. Best wishes for a pleasurable trip.

After posting the above, I googled "taking my sewing machine cruising", and came up with www.carnival.com/funville/forums/t/306240.aspx .The person who asked in 2014 was told that handwork was okay, but the reply sounds like homeland security may end up with her machine. I don't know if the policy is the same with all cruise lines, so best to find out early.

Last edited by elnan; 10-31-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

unless this is a quiltig cruise, I think I would try to find a few things to do with the family.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Just another thought - can you just skip the cruise (doesn't sound like you are all that keen on it anyway) and you and the hubs stay home where you can sew and don't have to worry about taking a sewing machine? Seems like a lot of work to do what you can do at home.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:31 AM

I total agree with Manalto. Days the ship is sailing can be a little boring if you are not into bingo. I have never brought my machine with me but think it is a wonderful idea. Days the ship is docked do what ever you want.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:35 AM

I agree with Manalto - I have taken my machine to the beach several times - once or twice I used it a lot and once or twice it never was opened. But I had it if I wanted it. Since mine is a fairly light weight Sofia, it was no problem.

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
Here's an idea - don't listen to people who tell you how to spend your cruise. (But you already know that.) If you bring your sewing machine and project along and wind up not getting to it, no big deal. If you don't bring it along and wish you had, you're stuck.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:07 PM

Even a heavy machine would only be a small inconvenience; it's not as though you're forced to carry it with you when you take a stroll on the deck. A treadle, however, may be overdoing it - servants are in such short supply these days.