Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
anyone ever use this home made basting spray? >

anyone ever use this home made basting spray?

anyone ever use this home made basting spray?

Old 02-18-2016, 08:09 PM

Default anyone ever use this home made basting spray?

I just watched a you tube video by Chatterbox quilts, by Kim Jamieson

she showed how to make a spray batting stuff, using flour salt water and alcohol, you cook the flour and water till it gets thick and then add a cup of alcohol and then put it a spray bottle and shake it up real good and your ready to use it..

I was wonder if anyone had hear of this method of spray batting..also do you think the flour would spoil after a while.
I remember using flour and water for glue when I was a girl and that was a long time ago, I don't remember to much about how it held up..
I found a site California quilters, here is the site..

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.c...l-glue-to.html

would like to hear if anyone else has used this method before ..Thanks

Last edited by quiltlady1941; 02-18-2016 at 08:18 PM. Reason: forgot to put the site in sorry
Old 02-18-2016, 10:01 PM
Power Poster

I would worry the alcohol might bleach the cotton. I am still trying to work out a ratio of Elmer's washable glue and water that will spray.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:53 PM
Power Poster

I think the alcohol is safe. Flour, though, will definitely degrade over time. In some climates it would also attract bugs. I would think it is fine if the quilt is quilted, bound and a shed within a reasonable period of time -- say, less than 6 months.

i remember making the flour glue too. It was quite wet and very sticky; dried hard. In a quilt you would definitely want a thin layer, not globs.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:27 AM
Power Poster

If you launder the finished quilt it would all wash away and probably be fine-- no idea how well it would actually hold/ baste the quilt sandwich. If going to try it I would put together something small ( table runner, placemats maybe) & try it, going through whole process, quilt, bind and launder before I would try it on a whole quilt.bi wonder if it would gum up your needle. I think any spray basted quilt should be laundered when finished ( my opinion) to wash away the adhesive. I personally launder each and every quilt as soon as the binding in done-- it's the last step to a completed quilt.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:13 AM

Great info and great blog! Thanks for posting, I'll try this when I do my next quilt!
Old 02-19-2016, 04:59 AM

Wow, it would be worth it to just buy basting spray. I'd be concerned about the alcohol for the reasons already stated plus the flour gumming up your quilt.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

That's an old recipe for making simple glue, usually for kids to glue paper crafts. Long ago permanent glue was made using horse hooves, that's the reason the earliest FW cases have the horrible smell.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:14 AM

Elmer's school glue is so inexpensive and stores so well that I can't see why you would want to go this route. I buy it in August when school supplies are on sale. I thin it down some with water and I like the way my quilts handle. I personally do not like spray basting products because of breathing the fumes-even in open areas. I like to avoid chemicals in my environment and in my food.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
That's an old recipe for making simple glue, usually for kids to glue paper crafts. Long ago permanent glue was made using horse hooves, that's the reason the earliest FW cases have the horrible smell.
I'm 72 and I remember when I was a small child my mother made flour and water paste to use for wallpaper. She boiled it on the stove and then let it cool. Any leftovers had to be refrigerated or they would mold. Sometimes the wallpapering took several days then the rest of the paste was thrown out. There was no alcohol in it. That might work as a preservative in your recipe.

Last edited by Just Jan; 02-19-2016 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:52 AM

I just read the link provided above and noticed one turn off for me... You have to wait to let the glue/paste dry overnight or iron it dry. Usually once I spray baste I go right to the sewing machine. No way do I want to wait over night for it to dry- and I do enough ironing as I make the blocks and then prepare it for sandwiching. I'd rather pay more and use less effort. Yes, its cheaper than the commercial spray, but a can will do several quilts and costs less than one yard of fabric. And my time and effort are surely worth something. After considering everything it sounds penny wise and pound foolish to me. But that's just my thoughts. To each his own.