Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash?

Blog Entries
    I'm beginning to think I'm a fabric collector more than a quilter. And I *still* have the urge to buy *more* fabric!

Sometimes. I then just shake it off and head off to my favorite LQS'S

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Me too! I get rid of what I don't think I am going to use, then buy more to fill in the holes!!!

Blog Entries
    I had not bought any fabric for over a month. At last I was able to get out and find fabrics for a couple of projects that are next on my list. It was touch and go there for a few days:)

Blog Entries
    I am never over-whelmed by my stash-I LOVE my stash-I am PROUD of my stash-but I do get really envious when I see pics of other's incredible stashes that make mine look really insignificant!! THAT makes me want to buy more!!! LOL

You do realize by getting more stash your helping to insulate your home from the cold or heat. :)
    Thats my story and I am sticking to it....going to go and buy more insulation on Sat.50% off sale :)
    sass

I am overwhelmed too. I buy fabric from the same collection mostly, then can not find a pattern to use with the fabric. I feel like I am doing this backwards, but can not help myself when I find beautiful fabric.

I know this has been addressed before (fabric or pattern first), I need help in this area.
    JulieM

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Yes, Prism, I was totally overwhelmed in the Fall. I have had fabric that was as old as 20 years!!
    I gave away a lot of fabric, cleaned out my sewing room, actually it still isn't finished but the holidays got in the way.
    I feel so much better. I really had too much (for me) and it turns into something counter-productive.
    I still have a lot of nice fabric but my room is calmer for me to work in and I don't miss one piece I gave away.
    It went to people who could use it and that made me extra happy :D:D

Quote Originally Posted by Sassylass
    You do realize by getting more stash your helping to insulate your home from the cold or heat. :)
    Thats my story and I am sticking to it....going to go and buy more insulation on Sat.50% off sale :)
    sass
    It does great until it gets wet!!
    I had a water leak yesterday that got at least 60 yards wet. Could have been much much worse.

It does great until it gets wet!!

Oh no Gayle, did you get it all dried out? Hope it didn't run...
    sass

Totally UNDERWHELMED after looking at pics of others stashes and comparing them to my 2 shelves worth. I obviously need to binge buy to boost my reserves for retirement.

Regarding fabric or pattern first - sometimes I have a pattern in mind that I buy for but most often I just see some fabric that I have to bring home to fondle and look at - even if I never cut it.

lol I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassylass
    sass

I only get overwhelmed when I use a piece and I think I might get too low on stash. It's time to head to the fabric store.

No, I just get it out and pet it and sometimes fold several pieces together with a pattern for ideas later. Then, the next time I get it out, I look at the pieces folded together and say, "What was I thinking there?" and put it with something else. It is better and cheaper than therapy!

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Me too! I get rid of what I don't think I am going to use, then buy more to fill in the holes!!!
    Lol!!! Me too!!! I'm trying to downsize and I can't stop buying more. :) Fabric is addicting.

I'm an addict!

lol... when I reorganized my sew room, I went from 4 - 28" wide bookcases of stash to 3 - 24"wide pantries (Pantries are deeper, so I can still put two stacks of fabrics side by side on a shelf).

So I went through my stash of dress fabrics, quilting fabrics and home dec fabrics.. and culled out stuff. I took SIX huge rubbermaid tubs of fabric to the local quilters charity group. Laid it all out, and told folks to take what they wanted... for themselves or for making things for charity. SIX huge tubs. THEN I gave the tubs away!

I thought I'd have space. well... what I ended up with is 3 pantries STUFFED full with fabrics and two HUGE tubs of MORE fabric hidden under my table. And a couple of large shopping bags full that someone just gave me, and 6 stacks of fabrics of WIPs, and.... lol!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Oh no, I'm never overwhelmed with my stash. I do have quite a bit but I plan on using every bit of it. I am in the process of making charity quilts only using my stash. I am trying to make as many quilts as I can and that's overwhelming.

It is rather frightening and I have to say I am embarrassed by the amount of it... I just came upon quite a bit, had the best of intentions for other things and didn't make the projects... there are just lots of excuses. I did sell a lot of it at garage sales for less than a dollar a yard at one point.

I am going to just go in there, stand tall and be brave and just start using it. I just got a few ruler gifts in the mail and they have me wanting to quilt which is a good thing!

Sadly I have to say that I do need to get oranges and greens now for two projects I want to have done by fall - log cabin pumpkins and a fabric holly leaf wreath for the holidays... so I'll be needing lots of orange and green... I will be strong and only but a 1/3 of a yard of each color I need so I'm not stuck with a lot of extra stuff....

Hmmm... we should all start a fat quarter or yardage swap...

Yes I was getting overwhelmed. Stopped buying a little while ago and have now joined the fabric moratorium, to pause buying until November. Feeling better already although at my speed of making, just using up my stash would take me a decade or two, lol!

Blog Entries
    It is only a very quick, fleeting thought... :wink: :D:D:D

Sometimes,but it is the fabric that was given to me,not the fabric I picked out and bought.

Blog Entries
    Yep, I think many of us are in that boat. Some of us joined the "Fabric moratorium". If you're interested, look for the thread under that name. Good luck to you!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I am overwhelmed. Made a resolution not to purchase any but have purchased over 50 yards already this year. I am also in process of putting my fabric on "bolts" so that I can see it more readily and "shop" in my own stash. However, that project is stalled out because I spend too much time on the QB finding new ideas, new sales, new projects, new books, etc. I need an intervention.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I'm beginning to think I'm a fabric collector more than a quilter. And I *still* have the urge to buy *more* fabric!
    Nope! I can still move around without it all coming crashing down on me. I try to use some stash with each new piece I buy. Although this year I am trying to be a little smarter with my purchases. I had a lot of unexpected expenses at the end of the year and am still trying to recover, so I am TRYING to shop wisely.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast