Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
anyone FMQ w/ a Brother XR-52? >

anyone FMQ w/ a Brother XR-52?

anyone FMQ w/ a Brother XR-52?

Old 04-18-2011, 05:23 PM

If you do......what settings do you have your machine on for tension/stitch etc when you use the quilting foot? I for the life of me could not get my quilting foot to work without creating some sort of rats nest (yes I had the pressure foot down) or the thread breaking!! I was using coats & clark but quilted a quilt w/ that before and didn't have that problem. so i feel like I did something differently/wrong this time and I don't know what it is. my quilt was pretty much ruined....in the end I put my regular foot on w/ the feed dogs down and was able to at least move in waves along the fabric just to get it finished. what a nightmare!! any suggestions you could give would be greatly appreciated. I'm sewing machine dumb.......
Old 04-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I have that machine! I love it. And I can do a respectible FMQ on it. I used to use the supreme slider, but don't anymore. I set the stitch length to zero, use several quilting feet (one at a time of course) and have used all kinds of threads including Coats and Clark. I think keep the tension around 4. The only times I have had birds nests was when the machine wasn't threaded right. I'm guessing you have changed the needle, put in a fresh bobbin, made sure the bobbin case is clean (I took mine apart once and found it was packed with lint) - , rethreaded correctly, etc. and that you pull the bobbin thread to the top? Is the thread getting caught in that little slit on the spool? Did you try putting in on the other thread holder (whichever one you weren't using first?) I hope you can figure it out - if it does a regular straight stitch well, then maybe you changed something in your technique? Please keep us posted -
Old 04-19-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I have that machine! I love it. And I can do a respectible FMQ on it. I used to use the supreme slider, but don't anymore. I set the stitch length to zero, use several quilting feet (one at a time of course) and have used all kinds of threads including Coats and Clark. I think keep the tension around 4. The only times I have had birds nests was when the machine wasn't threaded right. I'm guessing you have changed the needle, put in a fresh bobbin, made sure the bobbin case is clean (I took mine apart once and found it was packed with lint) - , rethreaded correctly, etc. and that you pull the bobbin thread to the top? Is the thread getting caught in that little slit on the spool? Did you try putting in on the other thread holder (whichever one you weren't using first?) I hope you can figure it out - if it does a regular straight stitch well, then maybe you changed something in your technique? Please keep us posted -
Thank you for your tips!! I think I may need to get the bobbin case cleaned. I put in quite a few fresh bobbins & that didn't do the trick. I didn't change the needle....I guess I could try that one! which quilting feet do you have? I only have one. if you could point me to where I might get something else that would work better I would be really appreciative! what do you mean by putting in on the other thread holder? maybe that's something I'm unaware of how to do! It does hold a regular stitch just fine. I will keep trying, I have 2 more quilts to do and they were made from my brother's shirts (he passed away) so I'm hoping to salvage the other two. I think my mom will think hers came out just fine, but I still feel bad about the way it looks. it's really the love I put into it that matters....but still.....
I appreciate all your help. thank you!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

There is a vertical spool holder (with the post that fits into the hole on the top of the machine) and the horizontal spool holder that is built in. I am never sure which kind of thread to use with which holder, so it is mostly hit or miss with me. I find this machine to be very accepting of the user - did you try the new needle yet? I don't think your issue has to do with the quilting foot. I use mostly the one that is listed in the manual. I also have an open toe foot and a "big foot". Are you sure the foot is on correctly? And you are using the class 15 bobbins? I have several machines and had a problem when I accidentally used the class 66 bobbins in it. Please let me know. Are you anywhere near Baton Rouge?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 AM

There is a vertical spool holder (with the post that fits into the hole on the top of the machine) and the horizontal spool holder that is built in. I am never sure which kind of thread to use with which holder, so it is mostly hit or miss with me. I find this machine to be very accepting of the user - did you try the new needle yet? I don't think your issue has to do with the quilting foot. I use mostly the one that is listed in the manual. I also have an open toe foot and a "big foot". Are you sure the foot is on correctly? And you are using the class 15 bobbins? I have several machines and had a problem when I accidentally used the class 66 bobbins in it. Please let me know. Are you anywhere near Baton Rouge?
your "are you anywhere near Baton Rouge" made me LOL!! i'm in VT! I will check the bobbin size & put in a new needle tonight. I'm at work right now. I "think" I have the quilt foot on correctly, but I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. My friend taught me how to sew & she moved away so I've been on my own ever since......nobody in my family sews, I'm the first one. I'm terrible at it, but I love it. :) I will work on this stuff tonight or tomorrow (I'm also training for a half marathon so I have to run plus be a mommy! LOL) and I'll get back to you! thank you so much for all of your tips and hints......VERY appreciated!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 AM

I have a brother machine and I have had that problem before. Either the thread is not threaded correctly or make sure you have the same brand of thread on the top and bottom. I am not sure what it is about Brother machines but they are particular for thread. Also make sure you are threadeing your needle front to back instead of back to front. That will do it also. Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Froggiefriendb, I have never had a problem with thread in my Brother. I use all kinds, not even sure the bobbin matches. My machine is the most forgiving - despite the user errors it has to contend with. I agree with you about the threading or needle could be an issue.

Rymer - the book shows how to put the foot on correctly - you can download it if you don't have one. Half Marathon! Good for you! Vermont must be beautiful.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:28 PM

Froggiefriendb, I have never had a problem with thread in my Brother. I use all kinds, not even sure the bobbin matches. My machine is the most forgiving - despite the user errors it has to contend with. I agree with you about the threading or needle could be an issue.

Rymer - the book shows how to put the foot on correctly - you can download it if you don't have one. Half Marathon! Good for you! Vermont must be beautiful.
Thanks!! I don't have the energy to mess w/ it tonight. I pinned down the binding and plan to finish it up this week in order to give to my mom for mother's day. about the marathon....I must have been nuts the day I signed up for it, it's GRUELING to train for it, work full time, parent 2 kids under 6, & find time to quilt. VT is beautiful when it's not freezing cold! :) we need spring.