Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have advice on hand quilting a batik top? >

Anyone have advice on hand quilting a batik top?

Anyone have advice on hand quilting a batik top?

Old 08-23-2015, 04:02 AM

Default Anyone have advice on hand quilting a batik top?

I've hand quilted tops before, but never a batik with the tighter weave. If any of you have done this, have you used regular quilting needles? Any particular tips? Thank you so much.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:41 AM

The only time I had trouble quilting batiks is when I had a batik backing as well as batiks in the top. Never again! I use muslin backings most of the time.

I used a quilting between, size 11. I would recommend that you use wool or polyester as your batting, or avoid cotton battings like Warm and Natural.

It's usually easier to quilt along the bias, too. It's also easier if you keep the sandwich loose in the hoop or frame.

If you can, try a sample first.

Good luck!

Janet

Edited to add: the quilt in my avatar used Hoffman Tonal solids, very similar to batiks. It's hand quilted, with a Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon cotton batting and a muslin backing. It was a joy to hand quilt.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:46 AM

Use the smallest , sharpest point needle you can handle...you need it for the high thread count. Also, if you've used starch, soak it out of top before sandwiching.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:13 AM

I've also been wondering about hand-stitching batiks, as I've decided on a batik for my next binding and wonder if this will present problems.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:43 AM

I just tried the Hiroshima tulip between needles for hand quilting. They are hand made and more expensive, but are very sharp, glide through the fabric easily and resist bending. Batiks are hard to quilt through, but this needle might help. I bought mine through Amazon, but your local quilt shop might have them.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:57 PM

I just finished hand quilting a batik top; non-batik back with w&n batting. Used Roxanne #11 betweens. Had no issues at all. I use batiks quite often and only hand quilt; only use W&N. Don't have issues.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
Use the smallest , sharpest point needle you can handle...you need it for the high thread count. Also, if you've used starch, soak it out of top before sandwiching.
I used tiny little needles for quilting both batiks and sheets as a wholecloth quilt.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:14 AM

I used size 10 inbetweens I think. No issues, I handquilted a memory table runner.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:07 AM

Wash fabric before starting the quilt, if you starched quilt to assemble, soak to remove, possible a bit of fabric softener. It does have a higher thread count, so anything to soften will help but know while it may be a tad harder, it is really that bad. (by the way, I hardly ever use "quilting needles", I use what works!).