Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have Singer 50/50 machine? >

Anyone have Singer 50/50 machine?

Anyone have Singer 50/50 machine?

Old 03-08-2009, 08:29 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mkanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 331
Default

I have one and was doing fine with it until I started to do my Crazy Quilt (going to use the Fun & Done method!)
When I started to do the special stitches.....went by the instruction book to set the stitches ..... it will not do like the stitch looks like. It will only make a "zig zag" I have (so the book says) the right cam in and the right settings
question #1
Would the type of thread have anything to do with it? I have used just cotton before (Walmart cheap brand) and it worked!
This time I am using the Handquilting thread as it is stronger. I have it in the top and bobbin both!
:?: :?: :?: :?:
Please...any help :!: :!: :!: :!:
Mary
mkanderson is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
azam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 1,430
Default

I don't have that machine, but my daughter-in-law was having similar problems. She kept playing with it and finally it worked. Good Luck!!!
azam is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Moonpi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central FL
Posts: 4,829
Default

If you haven't used them in a long time, oil may have hardened so the cams are not working. Try heating the cam area (with cam out) with a hairdryer, then try again. Also, tighten up your stitch length - they have to be pretty tight to get the look you are after. Practice on scraps the same thickness you will be using.

Finally, once you get your settings perfect, put a label on the cam with length and width settings so you'll know next time.
Moonpi is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:32 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Knot Sew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 5,653
Default

Hand quilting thread is bad for sewing machines especially if it is waxed. Go back to your manual and read at the beginning ABOUT DECORATIVE SEWING you may have forgot some button or slide :D
Knot Sew is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 AM
  #5  
Power Poster
 
Prism99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 12,931
Default

Originally Posted by mkanderson
This time I am using the Handquilting thread as it is stronger.
That is a big no-no for any machine. Handquilting thread is made specifically for hand quilting; the wax on it makes it not work well in machines. In fact, if you persist in using it, you can end up with wax build-up on the tension discs and bobbin case.
Prism99 is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 10:44 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mkanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 331
Default

Thanks for the prompt response!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :-D
mkanderson is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mkanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 331
Default

Originally Posted by azam
I don't have that machine, but my daughter-in-law was having similar problems. She kept playing with it and finally it worked. Good Luck!!!
azam! Will keep working on it! :lol:
mkanderson is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 10:47 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mkanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 331
Default

Originally Posted by Moonpi
If you haven't used them in a long time, oil may have hardened so the cams are not working. Try heating the cam area (with cam out) with a hairdryer, then try again. Also, tighten up your stitch length - they have to be pretty tight to get the look you are after. Practice on scraps the same thickness you will be using.

Finally, once you get your settings perfect, put a label on the cam with length and width settings so you'll know next time.
Moonpi ~ Hadn’t thought about that. Will do that as it has been a while since I have oiled anything but the main parts!
mkanderson is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 10:52 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mkanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 331
Default

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
Hand quilting thread is bad for sewing machines especially if it is waxed. Go back to your manual and read at the beginning ABOUT DECORATIVE SEWING you may have forgot some button or slide :D
Ruth Camp ~ I have sewn with handquilting thread before (with a Kenmore machine) but that was straight piecing - just blocks together.
And I have gone by the book about 4 times (but knowing me!!! :lol: ) I can read right AT something and still miss it!! LOL Will try that again!! Thanks
mkanderson is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 10:53 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mkanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 331
Default

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by mkanderson
This time I am using the Handquilting thread as it is stronger.
That is a big no-no for any machine. Handquilting thread is made specifically for hand quilting; the wax on it makes it not work well in machines. In fact, if you persist in using it, you can end up with wax build-up on the tension discs and bobbin case.
Prism99~ I have heard that too but I have straight stitched blocks forever on a Kenmore machine I had (went bye-bye to my youngest daughter…who never uses it!!! LOL) and by cleaning it regularly never had any problems----that doesn’t mean I won’t have them now!!!!!!!!
mkanderson is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
miriam
For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
154
03-12-2014 07:43 AM
MadQuilter
Main
50
12-25-2010 08:53 AM
KatFish
Main
4
06-12-2010 07:49 AM
wraez
Main
6
09-19-2009 06:36 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.