Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have and use this new ruler?

Blog Entries

Anyone have and use this new ruler?

This marking tool was demoed at a nearby LQS. It was one of the better hst marking rulers in terms of being easy and faster to use. Of course I bought one. LOL.

http://www.ct-publishing.com/pdfs/20182.pdf
    Got fabric?

Well please let us know how it works. (Sigh) I'm such a gadget girl LOL

I don't get it. Is this whole thing the ruler - the white part? Are there slots in it to mark the lines? Maybe I need to see the real thing. Anyway, when I make a lot of HSTs I like to use the papers, like Thangles and others like it. Not crazy about drawing lines on the fabric and following them.
    Will be interested to hear from someone who has used it. I like gadgets, too, but not sure this one is worth whatever it costs. If I saw it at a show, I might be drawn in.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

wow it looks complicated to me

Power Poster
    ​I think it's one of those tools that you really have to see a demo to "get" it. Let us know how it works for you.

I like the looks of this. The tool is just the "x" with the measurements on it. I like the ability to make 8 at once.

You don't need any rulers when you use Triangulations. Print them out and presto.

Blog Entries
    Making 8 at a time sounds like the method where the bias is on the outer edge. I do not like that method at all. Too much stretchy.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Okay BellaBoo, now that you have it, you have to make a video for us. I can't envision how to use it. I googled it, but there aren't any results for youtube.

Yes, it looks very interesting. I'd love to see a video of its use too.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    Making 8 at a time sounds like the method where the bias is on the outer edge. I do not like that method at all. Too much stretchy.
    Exactly! That's what I thought when I saw it on the blog a few months ago.

It's like that dreaded Missouri Quilts method that is all the rage - (two squares and sew a 1/4 around the perimeter, then cut twice diagonally). Ridiculous.

Also, it's not a cutting ruler, it's for marking purposes only.

Here's a better link for the how-to
    http://www.ctpubblog.com/2012/05/29/...plus-giveaway/

You still have to sew and press correctly (and make sure that your original squares were cut spot-on).

It makes it so you don't have to deal with eighths on your ruler.
    It's built into the seam allowance so you don't have to cut the squares an odd size like 3-7/8". You cut 4" and the extra is already built into the seam allowance when you mark the sewing lines.

That's the difference to the regular method - you're marking SEWING lines instead of CUTTING lines.

If someone doesn't understand the basics involved, this ruler isn't going to help them when the finished HST BLOCK doesn't come out to the expected perfect measurement.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.
    Everyone should cut and sew and press perfectly on each and every seam.
    But that's not real life.
    And when you take away putting the extra fudge factor at the beginning, there are no options to use to fix it at the end (like when you start with bigger squares and then trim down at the end).

I, too, am a gadget/ruler collector but I think, for me, my old-fashioned way of doing it will work better.

eta: Sorry for all the editing. My brain was going faster than my fingers. Or was it the other way around?
    Last edited by MTS; 08-03-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    There is no need for squaring up so less handling of the bias. I haven't had a problem with stretching making eight at a time, each one perfect size. It's not expensive, about $13 on sale and I will use it for many of Bonnie Hunter's patterns.
    Got fabric?

MTS thank you for the link. Now that I can see how it works I am interested. Maybe one will show up at one of the vendors at our guild show or at my LQS, so I can handle it and see how well it holds the fabric. I still don't understad how you can do more than one at a time. Don't you have to draw the lines on the fabric?
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    According to the PDF link above that shows how these triangles are made, the outer edges are all on the straight-of-grain. Basically the tool is a big X that allows you to quickly mark squares for sewing. You are marking the lines on the bias and sewing on the bias, so that the outer edges all remain on the straight-of-grain. The method that leaves the cut edges on the bias has you sew all around the outer edges of the squares. Quite different.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​I think it's one of those tools that you really have to see a demo to "get" it. Let us know how it works for you.
    I get it! I like it! I love to make 1/2 square triangles and quarter squares. This is absolutely perfect. Whip those little puppies out in no time. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I went on the site and it poped up with a printer syebol. I printed it out and the only part that didn't print was all of the 8 triangles at a time. You get the measuremnts for making HST and QST. Just sew 1/4 inch on each side of your drawn line and your good to go. You may have to trim a litlle to get tha exact mesurent size but that's the beauty of cutting oversize. I'm sure there would be very little to cut off if you use a full 1/4 " seam. Yah! Freedom from that dreaded scant 1/4"!

Quote Originally Posted by penski View Post
    wow it looks complicated to me
    It took me a minute to "get it" but I think I have it. The old way, you mark a line down the center of the square, sew 1/4" on either side and then cut it. This way, you draw two lines, sew right on top of the lines, and then cut down the center. Do I have it right?
    Pat

I get it!!

When you make HST's by drawing a center diagonal line then sewing on both sides of the line - cut the center, then square up the HST. This ruler will let you mark the two SEWING lines (instead of marking the center line) - and the bonus is that you can pre-cut your squares to the correct size FIRST which means if you sewed them correctly you won't have to square them up later.

So if you use the above method of marking HST's - then this ruler might be a useful tool.

I'm not a big fan of using special rulers for special functions ... I have a 4" X 24", a 6.5" square and a 12.5" square and I do what I need with those. But I LIKE this ruler.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I don't understand it or why it takes a special tool to make HST if I want a 3 1/2 inch hst I just cut 2 --8 inch squares put right sides together draw an X stitch 1/4 inch either side of X mark presto 8 HST trim to right size and perfect points every time

Blog Entries
    It sure looks interesting. I need more rulers like a hole in the head, but what the heck. I look at all the tools in hubby's garage, and I remember why I need more rulers!!

Nice that measurements are included for the size of finished square you need. Gonna buy it nope! Just need the math done for me.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I agree. Could there be a demo on youtube?
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

I'm not quite getting it, but the idea of it sounds good.

never have seen this one before
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

I prefer Eleanor Burns method of 8 at a time then square up using her ruler that requires ONE cut to square up. Simple and perfect HSTs every time. Cut large sqs, draw x , sew down both sides, cut for 8 hst. For 1 1/2 in use 4 in squares for 2 1/2 use 6in sqs. Just add 2 in for each size up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rose Marie; 08-04-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast