Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone in Jacksonville, Florida (Orange Park Specifically)? >

Anyone in Jacksonville, Florida (Orange Park Specifically)?

Anyone in Jacksonville, Florida (Orange Park Specifically)?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 AM
alimaui

Hey ladies,

I am in need of a quilting fairy godmother. My wish, is that some kind soul would come to my house and help me learn how to Free Motion quilt on my machine........

I have a singer 403a. She is an older machine, but very capable. Its not really an option to take the machine to a class, as she is bolted to my sewing table.

I understand the theory. I have read more tutorials than I can count, but when it comes to making it work on the machine, I think I am missing that valuable insight that can only be provided by someone standing over my shoulder.

I would take a class, but because of above mentioned "machine bolted to table" the machine does not travel, and I want to learn how to do it on my machine. (PS, I can do it just fine at the machines they let you play with in the store.)

Thanks for reading!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:49 AM

I took a class several years ago. We made a quilt sandwich with 2 pieces of muslin and a piece of batting. You can draw designs on it then quilt it or free motion a design. Try writing your name free motion. To get good at free motion, it just takes time and practice. I hope this helps!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:05 AM
alimaui

Bump....

Old 04-06-2010, 05:59 AM

I'm in Daytona, but if I were your next door neighbor, I wouldn't be much help. I know how to FMQ, but I'm not very good at it. My suggestion would be to make some placemats to practice on. If they don't turn out so good, you can still use them for you and family. A pretty floral backed by muslin with cotton batting in the middle would make a very nice placemat.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:14 AM
alimaui

Thanks for your help, I really don't need suggestions... I have made lots of little projects, and it is not a matter of practice. I need someone's eyes standing behind me telling me what I am doing wrong.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 AM

Do you have the ability to drop the feed dogs on your Singer? Is the machine level with the table or does it sit on top...look for the tute with the foam insulation board to elevate the work surface if the answer is no. And is your work surface smooth enough to allow the quilt piece to slide easily? Also I have just read about a gizmo made of some sort of teflon (slick) materiel that goes inside the bobbin case to help your bobbin spin easily; that was a problem for me on one of my projects. Hope at least you can use one of these suggestions. I live in the Westside of Jax, but am truly a novice with my own machine, so wouldn't have the nerve to tackle someone else's! Best of luck and keep trying. Begun is half done, or something like that!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:09 AM
alimaui

My feed dogs don't move, but the throat plate moves up. The machine is level with the table. The work surface is ideal. I have the darning foot, but the problem is when the fabric is not pressured between the throat and the presser foot, the top thread doesn't catch regularly with the bobbin thread. You can tell that each time the needle goes through it is not going through smoothly...

Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 AM

My son was born in Orange Park. We moved away right after the mall was built. I was shocked at how much the area has transformed into a city, it was a small town when we lived there.
I am having the same prob with FMQing. My small porjects look good but I can't get the tension right on a large project.
My friend tells me it is just practice and I'm still trying!!! Good luck, the area is so large you should be able to find someone to help you.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 AM

I live in Orange Park but do not do FMQ. I have mid-arm HQ16 and quilt on a frame.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Google Goddess

I hope you find someone.

Do you belong to a quilting guild? Is there a quilt shop in your area that maybe a teacher could come to your house?

Good Luck!