Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Anyone know abt Domestic D Treadle

  1. #1
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,733
    I posted on the Vintage Machine site topic but no one responded so I thought I'd try under main topics...

    I have a chance to buy a 1876 Domestic D Treadle in great condition for 50.00...needs new belt...no rust on the machine. Cabinet in nice shape...
    Was unable to open the plate to see the bobbin or if there even was one...Anyone know what type of bobbins they take?
    Was unable to see the underneath of the machine since it was being held in place in the cabinet by a metal plate..I'm assuming they look the same as a Singer and just need grease and oil.
    Can anyone tell me anything abt this machine...did google very limited information...

  2. #2
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    I don't know anything about this brand but treadles are usually easy to fix up/maintain. My only caution for you is to find a way look in the bobbin area and make sure one is there. Some of the vintage machines use the bullet type bobbins and certain ones are really hard to find.

  3. #3
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I don't know anything about this brand but treadles are usually easy to fix up/maintain. My only caution for you is to find a way look in the bobbin area and make sure one is there. Some of the vintage machines use the bullet type bobbins and certain ones are really hard to find.
    Thanks never heard of those...I'll make sure I pry open the plate...I tried to open but couldn't...but will make sure if I buy I get it opened before committing.

  4. #4
    Junior Member Diamondrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Bluegrass State
    Posts
    194
    I don't have any information for you but I'd be tempted to take a chance on it. You might be able to tell if it is rotary (round bobbin) or vibrating (long narrow bobbin and plate) by looking at the slide plate. I have a late 1800's treadle that can use class 15 and class 66 bobbins in it in addition to the original ones that came with it.

    The plate on mine lifts up it doesn't slide - just wondering if
    the domestic is the same way.

  5. #5
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondrose
    I don't have any information for you but I'd be tempted to take a chance on it. You might be able to tell if it is rotary (round bobbin) or vibrating (long narrow bobbin and plate) by looking at the slide plate. I have a late 1800's treadle that can use class 15 and class 66 bobbins in it in addition to the original ones that came with it.

    The plate on mine lifts up it doesn't slide - just wondering if
    the domestic is the same way.
    another good pt...never thought of lifting...only sliding...will give that a try...thanks...I did notice the plate is narrow so I'm thinking it might be that bullet type now......

  6. #6
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondrose
    I don't have any information for you but I'd be tempted to take a chance on it. You might be able to tell if it is rotary (round bobbin) or vibrating (long narrow bobbin and plate) by looking at the slide plate. I have a late 1800's treadle that can use class 15 and class 66 bobbins in it in addition to the original ones that came with it.

    The plate on mine lifts up it doesn't slide - just wondering if
    the domestic is the same way.
    another good pt...never thought of lifting...only sliding...will give that a try...thanks...I did notice the plate is narrow so I'm thinking it might be that bullet type now......
    Don't be afraid of the bullet types because some types are readily available--just look on ebay. PM Billy (lostn51) here on the board--he'll probably know which one that machine will use and how available it is. I think the clue is if you have one plate it's probably a round bobbin but if you have 2 long plates it'll be a bullet type but ask Billy. I'm by no means an expert!

  7. #7
    AbbyQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monroeville, PA
    Posts
    579
    Blog Entries
    1
    Does it look like this machine in the picture?

    If so then the bobbins are not easily found nor are the needles the needles are more then the bobbins but still it can be a challenge and expensive if you really want to use it


    If it doesn't look like this then I dont know what you have

    but here is my Domestic from 1880
    Attached Images Attached Images


  8. #8
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    Does it look like this machine in the picture?

    If so then the bobbins are not easily found nor are the needles the needles are more then the bobbins but still it can be a challenge and expensive if you really want to use it


    If it doesn't look like this then I dont know what you have

    but here is my Domestic from 1880
    Thank you! That's exactly what I meant! Pictures beat a 1000 words! :thumbup:

  9. #9
    Super Member JUNEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    Does it look like this machine in the picture?

    If so then the bobbins are not easily found nor are the needles the needles are more then the bobbins but still it can be a challenge and expensive if you really want to use it


    If it doesn't look like this then I dont know what you have

    but here is my Domestic from 1880
    What a beautiful machine

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I don't know anything about this brand but treadles are usually easy to fix up/maintain. My only caution for you is to find a way look in the bobbin area and make sure one is there. Some of the vintage machines use the bullet type bobbins and certain ones are really hard to find.
    Thanks never heard of those...I'll make sure I pry open the plate...I tried to open but couldn't...but will make sure if I buy I get it opened before committing.
    if the throat plate is large, look for an indent towards the end - there may be a spring push thing - push that and the throat plate should now be easy to remove...

    it may or may not be a Singer 15 clone -
    make sure the pitman rod on the treadle base pedal is not broken - if you pedal and everything appears to work ok, then it should be fine....

    turn the hand wheel and see if everything appears to move ok...

    These machines were all made back in the day when things were supposed to last (that's why they are still around!) - not disposable like 'nowadays'

  11. #11
    Super Member soccertxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Glendale AZ
    Posts
    1,520
    Try the Vintage Machine thread. Billy is a wonderful resource...

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm

  12. #12
    Junior Member Diamondrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Bluegrass State
    Posts
    194
    Something else to keep in mind on some of the old treadles - the hand wheel works in reverse and will need to be turned away from you instead of toward you.

  13. #13
    AbbyQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monroeville, PA
    Posts
    579
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondrose
    Something else to keep in mind on some of the old treadles - the hand wheel works in reverse and will need to be turned away from you instead of toward you.
    Thats how it is on mine. In fact when I first got my singer treadle I kept messing up because I learned and was use to the domestic

  14. #14
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondrose
    I don't have any information for you but I'd be tempted to take a chance on it. You might be able to tell if it is rotary (round bobbin) or vibrating (long narrow bobbin and plate) by looking at the slide plate. I have a late 1800's treadle that can use class 15 and class 66 bobbins in it in addition to the original ones that came with it.

    The plate on mine lifts up it doesn't slide - just wondering if
    the domestic is the same way.
    another good pt...never thought of lifting...only sliding...will give that a try...thanks...I did notice the plate is narrow so I'm thinking it might be that bullet type now......
    Don't be afraid of the bullet types because some types are readily available--just look on ebay. PM Billy (lostn51) here on the board--he'll probably know which one that machine will use and how available it is. I think the clue is if you have one plate it's probably a round bobbin but if you have 2 long plates it'll be a bullet type but ask Billy. I'm by no means an expert!
    It had two long plates....that I know...

  15. #15
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    Does it look like this machine in the picture?

    If so then the bobbins are not easily found nor are the needles the needles are more then the bobbins but still it can be a challenge and expensive if you really want to use it


    If it doesn't look like this then I dont know what you have

    but here is my Domestic from 1880
    The one I looked at was 1876 Domestic D...difference is the top middle tension thing...It was a big round pipe looking thing...I did find all their models on google and yours was there and the one I'm considering was there.
    In fact, the person who owned it was asking if anyone knew how that tension thing worked...

  16. #16
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannymom
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I don't know anything about this brand but treadles are usually easy to fix up/maintain. My only caution for you is to find a way look in the bobbin area and make sure one is there. Some of the vintage machines use the bullet type bobbins and certain ones are really hard to find.
    Thanks never heard of those...I'll make sure I pry open the plate...I tried to open but couldn't...but will make sure if I buy I get it opened before committing.
    if the throat plate is large, look for an indent towards the end - there may be a spring push thing - push that and the throat plate should now be easy to remove...

    it may or may not be a Singer 15 clone -
    make sure the pitman rod on the treadle base pedal is not broken - if you pedal and everything appears to work ok, then it should be fine....

    turn the hand wheel and see if everything appears to move ok...

    These machines were all made back in the day when things were supposed to last (that's why they are still around!) - not disposable like 'nowadays'
    I did work the treadle pedal and it moved easily and wheel turned...no belt attached...I hand turned the wheel of the machine and needle went up and down easily...no rust anywhere to be seen...

  17. #17
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi
    Try the Vintage Machine thread. Billy is a wonderful resource...

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm
    Did try and no one answered...my posting...I think if your not part of their group...you get ignored

  18. #18
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,733
    Thanks ladies...so many good tips...didn't know abt hand wheel working in reverse...it did turn forward when I tried it...

  19. #19
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi
    Try the Vintage Machine thread. Billy is a wonderful resource...

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm
    Did try and no one answered...my posting...I think if your not part of their group...you get ignored
    The postings in that group is so large it's hard to keep up. Did you see how many pages there were? You should PM Billy (lostn51) directly. He usually gets back to you pretty quickly--if not, that means he's probably out of town but he always gets back to you. :D

  20. #20
    AbbyQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monroeville, PA
    Posts
    579
    Blog Entries
    1
    okay I looked up the Domestic D

    I can tell that it does take the shuttle type bobbin what one I dont know.
    I dont know how the tension works maybe see if it can be unscrewed to loosen and then a way to tread it

    If you have not found this here a a web site with a picture
    http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/dome...lsnolinks.html

    Go down to Domestic D

  21. #21
    AbbyQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monroeville, PA
    Posts
    579
    Blog Entries
    1
    I found a close up of the tension.

    You unscrew it to loosen it and there is a slit on the side you place the tread between there
    here is the pic
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...59188365gamZgJ


    Also I looked but I am unable to find the manual for yours but here is an inline manual for mine and you may be able to figure it out from this

    http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect.../NMAHTEX/0874/

  22. #22
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    okay I looked up the Domestic D

    I can tell that it does take the shuttle type bobbin what one I dont know.
    I dont know how the tension works maybe see if it can be unscrewed to loosen and then a way to tread it

    If you have not found this here a a web site with a picture
    http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/dome...lsnolinks.html

    Go down to Domestic D
    Yes I saw that site...Is a Shuttle type bobbin the one that's hard to find?

  23. #23
    AbbyQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monroeville, PA
    Posts
    579
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mine is the boye shuttle number 7 and I think that should be yours as well but I am not sure. When I have a bit more time I can look to see what the shuttle and needle takes


    Here is my take on it
    50$ is good for it. I love my domestic never have problems always a great stitch.

    If you are looking to sew on it everyday and are not looking to add to a "collection" then I would say pass on it. The shuttle can be hard to find and I have paid 15$ for 10 needles (sometimes I have seen them for more)
    So it wouldn't be good to be sewing all the time on it.

    If you just want it for sometimes sewing and more of a conversation piece then I think its okay you could possibly do a better deal but $50 is not bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.