Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone out there quilted in thirds before? >

Anyone out there quilted in thirds before?

Anyone out there quilted in thirds before?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 AM

I have a large t shirt quilt top already basted and ready to quilt. I have become pretty good at FMQ on small things but this is a monster and I just can't seem to get it to move fluidly under the needle. I'm going to try rolling it after I rip out all of the stitches I'm not happy with. I have another large top and read about quilting in thirds where you cut the batting into 3 pieces, baste and quilt the center section and then whip stitch the batting together and do the left then right etc....I am really intimidated by the thought of this. I can't afford more batting if I ruin it. Anyone done it before? Is it as easy as "they" make it sound? Just like to know your opinions :) Thanks.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 AM

I did my last bed quilt in three sections, since I can't get a full quilt through my machine either. I had the batting and backing in three sections also, then joined the fronts with a sashing strip and overlapped the backing and hand sewed it.

But your method sounds very doable. There is now iron on tape for joining batting pieces together -- if that would make you feel more confident.

You could search quilt as you go on this Board, and you'll get lots of topics to look at.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Yep, works well. Another way is to quilt the main body of the quilt, then add the borders.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:13 PM

yes I have and it does make it easier to get the quilt done. I did not whip stitch I just zig jagged the batting on the machine it worked out just fine. Good luck
Old 08-11-2011, 12:24 PM

it makes it easier to get the quilt under the machine but remember the quilt will not be any lighter in weight once you add on that 3rd section of batting because now you have a top, a backing, and the full width of batting.

so if your problem is only throat space this issue will be solved.

if your problem is moving fluidly with the full weight of the quilt - this method will only solve part of the problem because that last section will be very heavy to move and the second section might be and issue too.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:33 PM

I have done it and found it very easy for me instead of trying to get the middle section under the throat space!
I recommend it for larger quilts.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Someone else posted that the do the FMQ on just the top (pretty designs) and then make the quilt sandwich and join it all by doing a simple SITD....
Old 08-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
Someone else posted that the do the FMQ on just the top (pretty designs) and then make the quilt sandwich and join it all by doing a simple SITD....
Hey - not a bad idea for FMQ novice - thanks.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

Before I got a LA, I used Marti Michel's book for machine quilting in sections. The method you mention is described in her book, along with several other methods.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:40 PM

I've done it in thirds once, it was a LITTLE easier but it certainly wasn't "easy", at least it wasn't for me. I've seen pics of members posting their quilting done on their home sewing machine and they're beautiful, but I can barely do a generic meandering. Maybe I should stick to just making tops. LOL

I didn't have any problems matching the sections of the batting together though, so give it a try if you can. If I can do it, I'm sure that you'll be able to.