Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone own a Kenmore/Necchi Logica?

These machines are so Star Trek and cool. Anyone own one that actually uses it?

http://www.mckennalinn.com/SensorSew.html

Blog Entries
    no, never seen one like that

Blog Entries
    Well, the harp (opening?) is certainly big enough! Very alien looking machine!

That's a really cool looking machine. I would love to try one out!!

Blog Entries
    I've seen it online before. If I were in the market for a machine, that'd be my choice.

This looks a lot like a machine one of my students brought in, it was his grandmother's and looked to be in really good condition, but it had sat for so long that it was completely frozen, and I had no idea what condition the motor was in. They had the original manual so I read it and was completely fascinated. They told me if they decided they didn't want it, they would give it to me, but since I had taught the student how to sew, I think he's going to keep it and perhaps some day get it fixed. I sure hope so! Oh, and I looked for one online but couldn't find any anywhere.

Blog Entries
    I would love to have one of these :D:D:D

Although I think they're really cool, I wondering if they've just not held up? One of the photos on the page I linked to showed the insides of the machine and there's a lot of plastic in there! One sold here on my CL for $150 and I don't know if I would have paid that much.

I have had one for 26 years and am only now having some problems with it, but only with the pedal having a short in it. I have made many quilts, and have run a business making purses and and custom made bags! LOVE THIS MACHINE! I have used many machines over the years and will do anything I need to get my Necchi up and running!

Blog Entries
    Is this new or old? Looks great to me.

I have one!

Hi, I'm new here, but am just now realizing how unusual the sewing machine my mother gave me is. It's a Logica Necci. The only sewing I do is repairs and hems, so I only drag it out a few times a year. I didn't even realize how odd looking it was until someone pointed it out to me! It's a good little machine, I guess but since it's the only one I've ever used, I have nothing to compare it to. The one thing I don't like is that it is very heavy - like 30 pounds I'd guess...

I have one and it needs a new motor. The machine looks great and I have all of the accessories plus manual. I also have the technicians service manual for it. If, I was an electrician, a machine motor from another company would probably work as long as it was the same size. Right now it just sits in a box in my garage taking up space. I bought it new from Sears in 1989. If, interested please reply.

n
    e
    w

I still have my super strong, (sews through anything even layers of leather) Necchi grad gift of 1966. Sewed 24/7 for 20+ years... everything needed for home dec and family clothes. I didn't use it much lately. I got a sweet little White Elna 'Stella model' in 1980. My sister had one and I needed a lightweight machine to travel with us on camping vacations. I had a sewing business and just had to have one only 6 lbs. I owned my own softgoods cottage industry business ... designing and sewing models and products... was 24/7 on my mind.... This kept me on task family and bus. Deadlines met....This Elna model is no longer made... It should be ! It is powered by air. Pneumatic control. The small white circular foot control has a 1-2" black rubber circle diaphram... * air pushes the power switch on and then off when foot is lifted. SWEETEST MACHINE I ever saw back then. It has zigzag and some early fancy stitches plus *Stretch Stitches... popular new needs for knits at the time.. *before consumer sergers became available.
    Foot control can Easily be brought up on table top to control with hand...(but never want to accidentally cut the hose...nor have a kitten or dog bite it.... Then... machine won't work... It's a thin black hose which goes from foot pad to machine...(just like an electrical cord would. The Switch is in the machine. Not in petal... The slider on face of machine to adjust speed goes from (slow) turtle to a rabbit for high speed..
    So pressure on foot petal doesn't control speed.I absolutely love it... Swiss knew Well !

But after seeing a FW a few years ago... and reading about the monthly gathering of FW sewers/quilters.... Well, I just needed to
    Look around for a FW for myself. And. Thursday I found my 'Sweet 16' You see it's a 1934 FW 221....1934 is when my DM Elinor would have been 16 yrs old.... I miss her since Memorial Day 2002.... My maternal grandmother made some flour sack blocks...
    I'd do her true homage to sew them into a real keepsake using my appropriate vintage FW. And sewing my other vintage fabrics into something... as I did in the 1950's on my paternal GM 's converted to electric Singer tredal machine.
    I'm so excited to know you are here online... a great group of 'ol vintage sewing machine lovers exists. My FW has many attachments;
    Dealer & I haven't a clue what many will do. (There is a little book) But, he said he'll give me bobbins and new belt and shine her up... grease & Oil but a long painful wait to pick her up on the 15th.
    I will watch for another FW.. I have 2 young sewing grandsons. Fun to all sew together now.... Maybe my Colorado hockey champ.. GD who coincidentally turns 16 this year will someday show interest in her paternal GM and develop a textile interest.... deserving a FW to take to college. I am in love with the quiet running... perfect stitches of the FW.
    I hope I become as efficient at maintenance of my little Sweet 16 Ellie... as you all seem.
    the You Tube videos took my fear away...
    Suggestion....
    But please shine a light on the dark areas when filming where to smooth with cotton & places to oil... & check things out.. on video. My tension has no numbers. He will mark best spot to be for 2 layers cotton... with nail polish. I want to try this before having him change to the number tension parts... what do you 1934 FW owners think about changing original parts?
    I will appreciate your advice... my first long awaited FW... I needed it right now small to fit in car for my snowbirding trip... sewing in AZ....this winter..... I see a FW dealer is in Tucson! I will look for him. I'd enjoy meeting any vintage FW lovers... let me know... sew together sometime...could be a sweet union.