Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone own a wool pressing board >

Anyone own a wool pressing board

Anyone own a wool pressing board

Old 10-28-2018, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Well, 100% wool will have all the characteristics of being wool, and smelling like wool is one of them. Everyone should know wet hot wool will smell like wet hot wool so why buy one if that bothers you. The only wool mat you can use a cotton setting on is the Alpaca wool mat. The rest is wool setting only. Too hot and it will smell. I like the wool mats. I can tell the difference when pressing blocks. I use steam and a clapper and my blocks lay flat with no seam bumps.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
My husband objected to the wet dog smell, I had to put it away.
DH made a remark about my large wool mat smelling like the fair stock yards when I first used it. I handed him the receipt and said okay I will toss it out brand new since you object to the smell in my sewing room that has a door that shuts and you are in my sewing room for.......? I still use my wool mat.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:29 AM

I just recently received my wool pressing mat. I love it. I can't believe how flat things iron on it. Mine doesn't seem to have a smell. I have 2. One 18x27 for a small table and a large one for my large ironing surface. I purchased them from http://www.sutherlandfelt.com/. Someone on here recommended this company. I emailed them what I wanted it for and they emailed right back with what they suggested I purchase. Compared to the ones from the LQS they are a lot less expensive. They make all kinds of felt. LOVE MINE!
Old 10-28-2018, 07:40 AM

I bought a wool mat at a quilt show. The seller had an iron and 2"squares so that we could all try it out. What a difference it makes! I have never had a seam press so flat before. Mine only smells a tiny bit if I use steam in the iron and the smell lasts for about 30 seconds. I LOVE IT!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
wet hot wool will smell like wet hot wool
Say that five times fast.

For those who find the smell of wet hot wool offensive, maybe try adding a drop of lavender essential oil.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:17 AM

I just ordered one and had never heard that they would have an odor. I guess for the money they cost the smell will not bother me. LOL
Old 10-28-2018, 12:10 PM

I went to my local carpet store, and took the measurements of my ironing board, they sold me wool carpet underlay which is the same as the wool board I purchased from my local quilt shop. I found the wool board too small as I generally make larger quilts, hence purchasing the same from the carpet store. They even cut it to my ironing board dimensions. Dimensions of my rectangular board is 24 inches x 60 inches, which I had made to fit on my regular ironing board. Yes it presses the seams so much better than just using the ironing board without the wool board.

There is no smell if you spray your wool mat with lavender essential oil, I made a solution of 2 cups distilled water, 20 drops of lavender essential oil and 2 ounces of vodka - the vodka keeps the water and oil from separating. I keep the spray in my sewing room, and use it for all my ironing and pressing. It also keeps our closets smelling lovely.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:14 PM

I guess I shoud say that hers smelled dirty wool like the poor sheep was in a pend and they sheared him dirty. She is returning it I have the wool pressing bars and love them. Thanks for all the input. Gramma Sharon
Old 10-28-2018, 12:18 PM

I have one and love it. Mine does not smell and I use either spray water or starch on my fabric
Old 10-28-2018, 01:46 PM

I've heard this works really well:
https://www.knitpicks.com/cfAccessor...mpaign=PPCGNBS
They say it gets out tobacco smoke from fabrics too....
I have never tried it.
my first mat had a smell when wet. It was minor, but I used a pressing sheet between it and my fabric anyway. I bought a second (24x72) wool sheet & cut it down. That one has no smell.

Google has several products you could try--some are homemade :
https://www.google.com/search?q=wool...nt=firefox-b-1

Last edited by mindless; 10-28-2018 at 01:48 PM.