Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recognize this?

Anyone recognize this?

I found this quilt and it said it's called splits n strips. Does anyone know if it's called anything else?

I am trying to find the pattern to download but can only find places to order it. I was hoping maybe it's called something else that I can search for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sandy

maybe.... Shadows & sunshine? seems that name rings a bell
    she swims! she runs! She Quilts!?!?

Blog Entries
    I dont now the pattern, but its very pretty, and all the blocks arent the same....

Blog Entries
    looks like a tube quilt. should be tutes out there.

I googled the Shadows and sunshine. That's not it but I do like it.
    Sandy

I like the quilt, sorry cannot help with name!
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Looks like a tube quilt to me, if you look carefully you can match up triangles that were cut from the same tube.

Blog Entries
    Try dream catcher or hello Betty. With these names I have seen quilts which look similar.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    It looks like a variation of a string quilt to me if you turn it on point you can see the blocks,
    All the blocks are made to two different layout you would need to study it and made a trial block

I agree with kamairigby - you could do this as a string quilt. It's just triangles cut from 3 strips, with the middle strip being a narrow black one.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Looks like it could easily be done with strip piecing. Two wider strips (one lighter, one darker), with a very small black strip in between. Cut with a 90 degree ruler, with the 90 degree corner at the top of the strip. Then alternate with the 90 degree angle at the bottom of the strip. Looks like there are a lot of different strip sets used. Then there is a border around each square.

Missouri Star has a similar pattern . You might try doing different width of strips but ending in the same final width. Here is the free tutorial online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5WgTyqB8Pc
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I've seen a similar quilt by Kaffe Fassett, but he used striped fabric rather than strip sets. Pretty slick! And easy, if you get the right fabrics.

It's a rather simple technique, similar to what charsuewilson described. It easily goes dimensional, too.

Splits and Strips is downloadable at Connecting Threads.
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/Pat...__D10395D.HTML
    Last edited by ghostrider; 02-21-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

If you were to sew 2 1/2" strips together and cut into squares (10 to 14") then cut the squares from corner to corner so you have 4 triangles, you could make up your own design. I love it.

Love the quilt!
    What a great way to use scraps/stash.
    NOW there's another one I'd like to make.

Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    Looks like it could easily be done with strip piecing. Two wider strips (one lighter, one darker), with a very small black strip in between. Cut with a 90 degree ruler, with the 90 degree corner at the top of the strip. Then alternate with the 90 degree angle at the bottom of the strip. Looks like there are a lot of different strip sets used. Then there is a border around each square.
    I think you have the right idea, but the borders are only around every other square. And the little black center is in the other square. So you need a wider strip of black on one side of your strip set. (Wider than the black strip in the middle of the strip set.) Then the borders and the middles will be created as you cut the triangles. I'm excited to try this.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I know this is not the one you are looking for but I came across this as I was "trying", feeble attempt at best, to straighten up my sewing room cause there is a pattern I'm looking for I know it's there somewhere!

Anyway this jumped out at me. www.toadusew.com strip disco I think it's a free pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Dew View Post
    I know this is not the one you are looking for but I came across this as I was "trying", feeble attempt at best, to straighten up my sewing room cause there is a pattern I'm looking for I know it's there somewhere!

Anyway this jumped out at me. www.toadusew.com strip disco I think it's a free pattern.
    okay I was wrong, again, it's really http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...s/strip_disco/ it was designed by toadusew

Quote Originally Posted by jstorm67 View Post
    I found this quilt and it said it's called splits n strips. Does anyone know if it's called anything else?

I am trying to find the pattern to download but can only find places to order it. I was hoping maybe it's called something else that I can search for.
    I'm confused. Does this mean you're looking for that specific pattern as a download or you're looking for a similar pattern as a FREE download? You won't find that specific pattern for free, download or otherwise.

If the first, it's at Connecting Threads, as I posted above.
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/Pat...__D10395D.HTML
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Yep, looks like the Tube Quilt to me there is a tutorial at Missouri Star Co. I just watched it yesterday.

It sure looks like a variation of one called "Spools" You can get a free download of that pattern and then could adjust accordingly. Very pretty, might try it some day when I finish all of the 500 other projects I want to do.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Jenny Doan has a tute of a tube quilt that looks like this. I made one using Moda Panache fabrics and it's really pretty!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
    If you were to sew 2 1/2" strips together and cut into squares (10 to 14") then cut the squares from corner to corner so you have 4 triangles, you could make up your own design. I love it.
    I think I saw something similar on Bonnie Hunter's website. It would be really easy to do. In fact, I'm going to do my next string quilt this way. It looks sooooo complicated but really isn't. And if you take two squares and put them together then cut 1/4 triangles you can mix & match where it looks like strings are going in different directions.
    TwandasMom

QM
    You could do this many ways, but I think the easiest is to sew a variety of strip sets, then cut the triangles from those.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast