Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: For anyone that refurbishes old sewing machines

I think Billy is one, that has cleaned them up and repainted them . When you repaint them , why do you pick a different color than the original? I admit they look very pretty. And if I have a featherweight that is black and in good shape , no scratches; would you suggest having it repainted to my favorite color ( purple). ? or just leave it alone?
    Thanks for your opinions. Elaine

I'm no professional, but I'd leave it alone.

If it is good shape I wouldn't touch it!!! People only paint the ones that need help.(rusty, chipped, bad scratches)

Blog Entries
    I've seen painted Featherweights at the quilt shows. Any color you wanted. The machine is first put in excellent working condition and then painted. The man that does this has an excellent reputation. I'll try and find his website. If you have the Featherweight for the collector's value then keep it the original paint job. Featherweights aren't that valuable, about $400 for mint condition so if you want a purple one go for it!

And check out this site; they are so beautiful and SO expensive. www.deskdave.com.

Blog Entries
    Those prices are steep but the colors are worth it. The paint has to be baked on and applied perfectly and from what I was told is very time consuming. I saw some of his machines in person and they are stunning and high quality workmanship.

If it is in good cosmetic condition I would leave it alone. I have a 1956 Featherweight in pretty good condition, but I am looking for a cheap and battered Featherweight to have restored and painted candy apple red! Since it is so expensive to have them repainted, I am waiting for that perfect machine at a very very low price.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    And check out this site; they are so beautiful and SO expensive. www.deskdave.com.
    Soooo pretty!

Redpurse Lady:
    I just had to show you my red Featherweight. Enjoy!

:oops: I wish I had dusted it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by shequilts
    Redpurse Lady:

Oh I wish I had that one!
    I love red.
    Beautiful!
    Lucky you

I do like the red - it would certainly get my attention.

Being married to a museum archivist, I'm a bit of a purist. I'd leave it the original color. Although Featherweights aren't currently that valuable, any time you refinish an original or antique object, you are destroying its value.

Actually, this Featherweight would bring upwards of $750.00. I don't believe that destroyed the value of a machine I bought for $200.00!

I would leave it alone

Quote Originally Posted by shequilts
    Redpurse Lady:

OOHHH! IT IS BEAUTIFUL!! Did you buy it that way or did you have it redone? If so, who did it? My 1956 machine cost me $250 on Ebay about 10 years ago. I don't want to spend that much plus the paint job on another one. I guess the right machine will show up when it is time for me to have another one.

Thanks for the picture - I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by lnordyke
    I'm no professional, but I'd leave it alone.
    me too

Blog Entries
    My thoughts exactly

I agree, if it's in good shape leave it, but if its scratched and all......personalize it. :-D

OH! She's BEAUTIFUL!!!

I keep going by the local thrift stores, yard sales, estate sales...hoping to find a Featherweight at a reasonable price. .

Senior Member ORSunshineQuilter's Avatar
    My husband and I refurbish. We only paint those that are really, really damaged. I have one right now that is painted with purple to green car paint that was frozen up. He cleaned it up and it sews wonderfully. We think it might have been in a flood or left in a cellar some place. Anyway, Purplel Majesty has a new life. Otherwise, we keep them black as original. He is trying a new process of powder paint to make them look like original. We have one that he intends to do that with but he hasn't had time as yet. So, my advise, unless it is truly an ugly duckling, leave it alone. That is part of its wonderfulness.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    I have seen repainted ones on Ebay and love the colors. If you have one in good shape I wouldn't paint it. Like someone else said, I think the ones they paint are ones in poor condition. My Featherweight is in great condition and wouldn't think of painting it.

IMHO refurbishing and painting an old machine (FW or other) should be done only to those machines that are so cosmetically challenged as to be useless. As I may have said before, I think it is unwise to repaint a FW in the original japanned black because someone, somewhere, sometime will try to pass it off as a "mint" or "pristine" condition FW.

Rather far away from you, but Johnny at the Pickle Dish Antiques & Sewing Emporium in Anthony, Florida repairs and reconditions old machines, including the cabinets. He specializes in Featherweights. You can contact him at 352-867-8035 or [email protected] I've seen some of his work and it is beautiful.

Thanks for all your opinions. I guess I will leave it "just plain black". I am planning on teaching my 4 year old GS on it this summer. Elaine

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dixiechunk
    IMHO refurbishing and painting an old machine (FW or other) should be done only to those machines that are so cosmetically challenged as to be useless. As I may have said before, I think it is unwise to repaint a FW in the original japanned black because someone, somewhere, sometime will try to pass it off as a "mint" or "pristine" condition FW.
    That is the reason I change the colors up when I repaint them. Also you are spot on about when to repaint of not.

There are some machines out there that I dont care how bad they look you should never even think about refinishing. But the common ones like my Singer 27 and the FW's if it is cosmetically challenged then its ok to paint.

I also always check the serial numbers and the amount of machines on the run before I repaint. If the serial is close to the start or finish of the run or the machine was a super short run I will not refinish it.

I always use automotive finishes on the machines I refinish and always do them in a Base/Clear coat and some times do a Pearl mid coat if thats what the customer wants.

But I never bake anything I paint, baking is for cakes not paint jobs! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast