Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone sell quilt tops?  I need to do something with this stash!! >

Anyone sell quilt tops? I need to do something with this stash!!

Anyone sell quilt tops? I need to do something with this stash!!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:08 AM

Default Anyone sell quilt tops? I need to do something with this stash!!

I have far too much stash. I know.. not everyone has that problem but I do.
My biggest problem is that my tastes have changed. I now really only want to quilt with blenders and I have a bit of prints and even the blenders I have aren't quite the colors that I like now... so I was thinking instead of selling off yardage (which I have not had luck with locally and haven't tried here yet but am considering it) I thought I'd possibly make some interesting quilt tops and start selling the tops...

Has anyone sold tops? Do you have any advice or thoughts on it?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I have seen tops listed here for machine quilt practice but her prices are very reasonable. I think you might have better luck listing the fabric?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

you may want to review the selling guidelines http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...g-t169124.html

tops would be priced based on the fabric contained therein. so selling the yardage would be less work. remember, too, that you have to qualify to sell.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I totally finish one quilt before starting another. I have no unfinished quilts. I am making scrappy quilts now trying to use up my scraps. I have about 40 quilts stored and need to decide who gets them. Family and friends have at least one and some have several.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:14 AM

A friend of mine has bought several off of ebay.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Might be easier to sell off the yardages. That way you can purchase more of the types of fabrics you are more interested in~
Old 10-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the input. I think the yardage is the way to go. I'm going to work on getting it ready to sell. It's a big process that's for sure.

My guild is also going to be doing a lot of charity quilts which I don't mind using the fabric for. Most of the women in my guild will donate a block or two but won't donate batting or backing fabrics. This stash could go a long way for charity quilt backings...
Old 10-14-2013, 07:47 AM

Sell it in flat rate box lots if you have lots to sell, much less work involved, I have sold some on ebay that way , just last week I need to sell LOTS more lol. I am feeling the same way , it is as if I don't like any of the fabrics I have now. I want to just work with the simple solids or batiks and have none of those in my vast hoard of fabrics. In fact I have been thinking about throwing a lot away ! I did send out nine large boxes for postage a couple weeks ago of older prints. I did want to try to sell some of the nicer quality fabrics because I need money lol. But it is hard to sell and very time consuming. Best of luck to you

Last edited by raedar63; 10-14-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:51 AM

love the idea of the flat rate box deals. That is awesome!!
I have a lot of similar themed fabrics... xmas, easter, kid prints, leaves, flowers, etc. That would be a great way to do it here as well. I love that idea. I'm totally going to do that. I love the idea of lots. That will make it a lot easier for me in the long run. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

How do you sell it in the flat rate boxes? Do you advertise with a photo of the fabrics to be included? Or do you just give approximate yardage? And do you sort by color or type of design? Sorry for all the questions......