Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone used Felted Wool for Applique? >

Anyone used Felted Wool for Applique?

Anyone used Felted Wool for Applique?

Old 10-26-2017, 04:28 AM

Default Anyone used Felted Wool for Applique?

Has anyone used Felted 100% wool to do applique on a quilt that will be washed? Any suggestions from Members for using either felted wool or flannel for applique on a quilt which will be washed and dried.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:57 AM

I googled and found these links from "us". Hope they can help!
http://Can you wash a quilt with woo...Quilting Board and
http://Washing and Blocking Wool App...Quilting Board
Old 10-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Often! I love working with wool and many of my appliqué quilts are wool appliqué on cotton backgrounds. Sometimes regular cottons sometimes flannel. They are beautiful.
Heres my favorite wool appliqué quilt. It is black, double sided Benartex flannel. It had be
Attached Thumbnails ee35fa86-ef95-4f32-9cf2-6f23b2e0c528.jpeg  
Old 10-26-2017, 11:24 AM

The wool I get in my LQS has all been dyed which means that it has been already been through the washer and dryer and been felted. Washing on delicate seems a good idea though. I wouldn't want to wash it like once a week but maybe a few times a year. The two links above won't open for me so I don't know if I am duplicating info.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Often! I love working with wool and many of my appliqué quilts are wool appliqué on cotton backgrounds. Sometimes regular cottons sometimes flannel. They are beautiful.
Heres my favorite wool appliqué quilt. It is black, double sided Benartex flannel. It had be
CK your quilt is beautiful. Thank you for answering my question. I am now wondering how much quilting/sewing did you add to the applique pieces? Did you use any fusible web on them? Thank you for your effort and time. I really do appreciate it. Yolanda
Old 10-26-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven View Post
CK your quilt is beautiful. Thank you for answering my question. I am now wondering how much quilting/sewing did you add to the applique pieces? Did you use any fusible web on them? Thank you for your effort and time. I really do appreciate it. Yolanda
Now that I was able to get a close up of your applique, it appears that it has been hand blanket stitched. Beautiful handwork.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:08 PM

Thank you, Everyone, for your help. I am going to do a small applique and give it a dry run first. Your posts were very helpful.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven View Post
Has anyone used Felted 100% wool to do applique on a quilt that will be washed? Any suggestions from Members for using either felted wool or flannel for applique on a quilt which will be washed and dried.
Blossoms In Winter, 14 designs in Wool-Felt Applique, copywrite 2002, Patti Eaton and Pamela Mostek is a book I have drooled over many times. I bought my copy in 2004 from Half-price books. Tucked inside are directions for Windy Leaves, a project by Marcus Brothers fabrics. You can find it online.

I machine stitched flowers and leaves to a wool blanket that I had machine washed and dried. A second wool blanket supplied the appliques. I passed this on to husband's DIL. I don't know how it has held up to being drug around by an active little boy with two cats.