Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Want to Buy a Quilt Shop?

Really "Who can sew on a Car Anyway"!!

I purchased a very large lot (somewhere around 10,000 metres of designer fabrics and a few bolts of lace trims from a well known Canadian Fashion Designer 2-1/2 years ago for a VERY good price.

She was clearing some of her inventory to make way for the incoming new fabric trends - some of the fabrics were FULL unused rolls - in excess of 50 meters per roll.

2 months of intensive taking of photos, composing descriptions and determining my pricing, I eventually managed to get them all listed in my EBay Store.

It took me about 1-1/2 years to sell just about all - I think I only have about 120 metres left from the lot and I managed to make back my initial cash outlay and have realized a comfortable profit.

Was it worth the time and effort? Possibly but in hindsight, I don't think I will do it again as it took far more of my time and energy than I had expected and that of course took away from too much time from my other interests.

You would likely have far more success in selling quilting fabrics in a shorter time period than the designer fabrics I ventured with (these fabrics were for those interested in sewing their own garments).

You may want to seriously look at how much time and energy to want to put into taking on such an endevour but if you do and you're lucky, you could probably turn a good profit.

Good luck and hopefully, you'll post some in the forum - from the photos, there appears to be some really nice fabrics, etc.

FERSID

I am envious........... I have always wanted to own a quilt shop..... Guess it's not in the cards for me - should you decide to buy I wish you all the best. Wish I was closer.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    ScrapQuilter

It is so difficult when a shop owner dies. Who will run the shop... Who will continue the ordering... Other questins if trying to make a go of it after the 'heart' of the store is gone.

We have a store in the area that lost its 'heart' about two years ago. I am grateful the store is still there, but I sometimes wonder how long the family will keep it going.

I hope someone is able to make a decent offer to the family involved in the store listed here.

Banned
    Trust me i am not going to buy it, although it is very tempting....

I would just end up keep all of the quilting material and then I would have issues with storing them. Thats why I would not even consider doing it right now.

Billy

well you are getting a bike. get rid of cars and store around the house. you could sell off all but the quilting stuff that you liked. It would be fun. You could have a day next year that everyone from the board can come and buy from your house. sure that lots of us in your area would love to take a trip to see your stash.

oh to be rich instead of just beautiful :P

oh to be rich instead of just beautiful LOL

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    My goodness!! That's a lot of fabric....and a lot of money! lol (although I'm sure it's a good deal!)

Wow! Wouldn't that be something! Sad to see a place like that close down! Must be awful for the family!

where is my winning lottery ticket when i really need it??

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OHHHHHHHH , if I only had the money!
    I'd be on it in a heart beat - half a heart beat!
    Wondering if that is a good price for it all....????
    I'd need an inventory list.
    Sorry - business woman in me coming out.
    I do have two more days off work, could get down there......

Oh, yeah - I have no money.

I can dream.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    That one has expired.

Blog Entries
    You could have it all sold on here before you even bought it...

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    That one has expired.
    Guess he didn't sell all his fabric!

Oh to be rich, beautiful, and own a quilting shop!

Wonder if that includes any sewing machines? The flower shop I use to work for is for sale. They want $300,000.00 for it. The bldg has been there since 1920 & really is falling apart. Has been on the market for 70 months. Nobody beating down the door for it. They are dreaming.

Who's up for a road trip?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Uhhh... so... after reading this post, I've been thinking... if all my colleagues and I decide to retire at the same time (in about 15 years, 'cause we're all about the same age)... and if we don't know what to do with all the fabric ... should I let everyone here know, and sell it off piecemeal?

Is 15 years enough lead time? You know, for folks who like to plan ahead...?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Uhhh... so... after reading this post, I've been thinking... if all my colleagues and I decide to retire at the same time (in about 15 years, 'cause we're all about the same age)... and if we don't know what to do with all the fabric ... should I let everyone here know, and sell it off piecemeal?

Is 15 years enough lead time? You know, for folks who like to plan ahead...?
    I might finish using up my stash by then ~ ~ ~

Where in Arkansas is this place? WE are traveling through there in a couple of week. Hmmmm may be an interesting stop along with Marshalls.

Carole

Well, I did own a quilt shop until reality and this econmy intruded. What a let down. Now I have a very BIG stash of fabric. Eventually I will get it on here. In the meantime any one traveling through eastern WV drop me a line for a look see.

Mountain deb, What kind of fabric do you have? If you post pictures, you will be able to sell it on the Board. Eiltcoq.

Quote Originally Posted by eiltcoq
    Mountain deb, What kind of fabric do you have? If you post pictures, you will be able to sell it on the Board. Eiltcoq.
    It is a matter of getting myself motivated to list and of course parting with all this fabric. Mostly Moda, Haufman, Kaufman, Blank and misc.. Most everything will be 40 to 60% off retail price. Sooooo stay tuned in for future postings.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain deb
    Quote Originally Posted by eiltcoq
    It is a matter of getting myself motivated to list and of course parting with all this fabric. Mostly Moda, Haufman, Kaufman, Blank and misc.. Most everything will be 40 to 60% off retail price. Sooooo stay tuned in for future postings.
    I'll be watching for your postings...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast