Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AOTH question >

AOTH question

AOTH question

Old 06-13-2011, 03:29 PM

I was watching Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting a few days ago. They had a guest that was using a short plastic storage tub with a cheap fluorescent light like you would mount under a cabinet under it. I haven't tried it yet, but he said that is what he always uses.

He mentioned that you could just use a battery operated push one light as well.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 PM

If you have one of those clear extension tables for your sewing machine, you can use that too, just put a light under it. That's what I use....
Old 06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

i got a piece of plexi glass and open the table where a leaf goes in and put a light under the table.
Or you can do the same and cut two 2x4 lumber and put on the table and light under. Get one of the florsent strip lights that goes under the cabinet for light.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Banned

are you going to do a lot of tracing where you would need a light box. If not, save your money until you actually need it. You said "I have all my supplies" etc. Light box is not a normal item for quilting unless you are going to do a lot of tracing. If you are tracing a background design for applique and using a light fabric, you can probably just put a white sheet or white paper under the design and a strong light above and you will see thru that. I have used this tehnique in marking wholecloth quilts on white or off white (muslin) fabric.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 PM

SharBear, thank you so much for the link! I had been thinking along those lines, but the foil pan is super. That way the light get reflected around, and makes the light even brighter. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
are you going to do a lot of tracing where you would need a light box. If not, save your money until you actually need it. You said "I have all my supplies" etc. Light box is not a normal item for quilting unless you are going to do a lot of tracing. If you are tracing a background design for applique and using a light fabric, you can probably just put a white sheet or white paper under the design and a strong light above and you will see thru that. I have used this tehnique in marking wholecloth quilts on white or off white (muslin) fabric.
The quilt I am starting has a lot of tracing. The background is black.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:41 PM

I agree with most of the others that you can find other ways to accomplish your need. I have a light box but find I don't use it very often because it doesn't have a permanent spot and is stored in the closet. I go for whatever is closer and faster.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 PM

Me personally I love my Art tracer II lightbox, great for applique and paper piecing easy to move around. I think its worth the investment personally, just use your 50% off coupon and its not that bad, It will earn its keep, trust. You can use it on your lap, I love it
Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 PM

I use a crisper drawer with the glass shelf from my old fridge my brother drilled a hole for the cord to slip thru but a cardboard box and plexi-glass will work so long as you don't have a box addicted kitty
Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 PM

I bought an inexpensive light box at Hobby Lobby. Don't remember how much I paid for it, but I'm sure it wasn't very much (or I wouldn't have bought it). Before, I had been using a glass top table and a desk lamp. Now I can set up my light box where I can sit more comfortably. We save money in so many other ways, we deserve to splurge on ourselves occasionally.