Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appliqué question >

Appliqué question

Appliqué question

Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
If you go to McKenna Ryan's website, she has a section on Helps and How-To's that talks about how she makes her quilts. She does not sew around the edges first but instead, stitches around the edge of each piece after sandwiching it so that it acts as the quilting also. If it's a big quilt with numerous blocks involved, she starts in the middle block, sews/quilts around all the edges, then stitches in the ditch around that block before moving on to the next one. After all the blocks are finished, then she goes back to do some background stitching/quilting. By then the quilt is completely stabilized. Reading her technique might help you but of course, you can always do it however works best for you. I did it her way because I did not want to stitch around each piece twice, once before sandwiching and once after.
McKenna does the "RawEdge" technique. If you plan on laundering the quilt and do not want the fraying, blanket stitch as you go, then quilt as desired after sandwiched.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 AM

I've been considering getting one of her kits with the laser cut pieces. I was thinking about the stitching versus quilting question and I think I might try to do a quilt as you go with it if I do spend the money on the kit. The back would have an interesting look to it.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:57 AM

I took a class that used one of her patterns and we did the stitching on each block as we finished it. Not sure you would be able to use the blanket stitch as she has many small pieces in her patterns.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:50 AM

When I hand applique I complete one block at a time. I have a West of Baltimore quilt at the longarmers now. I use the blanket stitch and use contrasting embroidery thread sometimes and sometimes coordinating thread. Never mastered machine enbroidery.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM

Do it before you sandwich it. And be sure to use some sort of stabilizer underneath so the stitches don't pucker the fabric. I use 'Tear Easy" because its what I have on hand from embroidery.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

I just finished a quilt for our DGD with many, many appliques - butterflies - hearts - dragon flies which I fused on the quilt, then stitched around each one using a zig-zag or straight stitch, for raw edge applique. After sandwiching the quilt, I did sew around the appliques to make them extra sturdy for a 3 1/2 yr. old GD, to make them last.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 PM

Perhaps it would be just as easy to applique' each block and do the outline stitching at the same time. Or you could do the applique' on all of the blocks, and then switch to invisible thread and quilt most of the rest of the block. Then sew the blocks together. Obviously you'd still have to do enough quilting to nail the batting down, but at least the most fussy stuff would be done.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:25 AM

If it is a wall hanging, raw edge is probably the easiest and can be done as a sandwich. If it is a bed quilt I would secure the edges before sandwiching it with a satin stitch (tear away or wash away stabilizer behind the piece) or blanket stitch to make it washer and drier friendly. I often enlarge her patterns so I can more easily satin stitch them down which is my preferred way. Here is the detail on one of her fish.
Attached Thumbnails fish-006.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 AM

Wow! You sure don't start small. Her patterns are a big undertaking. Can't wait to see your progress.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:02 AM

I tend to just jump into things with both feet and eyes closed. Sometimes I am pleasantly pleased when I open my eyes back up sometimes not.
Your fish is beautiful!