Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Appliqué.

Appliqué.

The year one of my goals is to work on my appliqué skills both with the machine and by hand. Do any of you know of a good on line class or a book that would help? I enjoy this board and learn something new almost daily. Thanks

I am hoping to start an applique project this weekend. It is a kit by Jan Patek called Cedar Creek Quilt. It is available from the Missouri Star Quilt Company and Jenny and Jan do a wonderful 4 part tutorial on you tube that will show you all you need for the project.

Just Google for Applique tutorials, and you will find lots, also google for Applique DVDs. There are lots of books for applique. The best place of all is Amazon for books both new and used and extremely reasonable prices and fair shipping. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by roisinom View Post
    I am hoping to start an applique project this weekend. It is a kit by Jan Patek called Cedar Creek Quilt. It is available from the Missouri Star Quilt Company and Jenny and Jan do a wonderful 4 part tutorial on you tube that will show you all you need for the project.
    Karen from Appleton, Wisconsin

Applique made Easy is a good book, but can't remember who its by.

Elly Sienkeiwicz has some very good books on applique. She also has some DVDs, but they didn't have very good reviews. I just saw on Amazon "Simply Successful Applique" by Jeanne Sullivan who teaches at Elly's Applique Academy that I'm going to order. I have only done needleturn and fusible applique but would like to try the pre-turned applique method that Jeanne teaches in her book. Harriet Hargrave has a book on machine applique. I have not tried applique by machine because I really like doing the hand work. I much prefer applique to piecing. Good luck on your project.

Edyta Sitar's book "Hop To It". I have started doing this, by hand & love it! Have also tried Sharon Pederson's "Rose of Sharon" book. Did one her way, machine applique, now trying one by hand. It's fun trying different techniques, enjoy!
    Nancy/NC...
    "Because Nice Matters"
    "Choose To Be Happy"

I love the video by nancy chong from pacific rim quilts. It is very step by step and clear. It is for needle turn appliqué. She also gives you a free pattern with the video I think...

i have done a few types of appliqué and needle turn is my favorite. I also us silk thread that matches

Blog Entries
    I have the book Applique The Basics and Beyond by Janet Pittman. I love it. It has clear instructions and great pictures, patterns, and small projects. As you progress through the book, references are made to the pages where a technique was first mentioned. It tells about each type of hand and machine applique. I highly recommend it.

Blog Entries
    I taught myself machine applique using Harriet Hargrave's book. This book is very detailed and well-written:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach...dp/157120136X/

I tried several methods, but ended up liking her freezer paper technique the best (except I use paper paste instead of glue stick to turn fabric edges).

Here is a method I have found which is quick, easy and you don't have to worry about any threads popping out if you are very inexperienced like I am. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ni__3QOF64 This works best if your pieces aren't very small.

Wow!!! Now I just need to pick a book and get started. Thanks for all of your help.

I was fortunate to take a class from Elly and she's fantastic! I like her style and to me hand applique is relaxing. But I also like machine applique for quicker results and I use the blanket stitch the most to do that. Good luck and may you enjoy your adventure with applique!

Laurel Anderson's Applique Workshop is excellent. She covers 10 techniques so you can choose the one that suits you best without purchasing a huge library of books.
    "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." Edwin Land

Blessings! Ruth

I had the same goal for 2012. If you are looking to improve your needle turn skills look on Youtube. Find a project you like on a website with simple shapes and practicce practice practice. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    prism 99, thanks for the reference, I just ordered it from Amazon
    DeAnne

A ggod friend is also friends with Kim Diehl and for a birthday my friend gave me Kim Diehl's Simple Seasons with some applique lessons and some beautiful patterns but I'm working my nerve up to do one

A GOOD friend not ggod friend lol

Barbs

Good luck. I also have that on my list of things to learn this year. I made up a list of 10 quilting techniques that I wish to work on. I want to tackle 1 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by josykatz View Post
    Good luck. I also have that on my list of things to learn this year. I made up a list of 10 quilting techniques that I wish to work on. I want to tackle 1 a month.
    I've been watching U Tube on Needle turning applique. I'm still in the air on it but this is one thing I want to try more of this year. Oh and Josykatz...Welcome from Soddy Daisy TN!!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Blog Entries
    Karen Kay Buckley has a good video.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

I took a class at my local quilt shop. She taught needle turn--called back basting. It is a technique that uses the back of your fabric where you draw the pattern line on the back of the block. You choose the fabric that is the the farthermost back and baste it on to the front using the line drawing on the back and basting the fabric to the front. A bit of a round about explanation. Anyway the piercing of the fabrics and being held with the thread creates a 'memory' to your fabric of where it wants to fold back. I would suggest Google and all the u tube tutorials. Here is a lady who has some nice patterns, and each year she makes a quilt with free patterns on it (other than the center block) and she has lots of posts as to how to applique. http://erinrussek.typepad.com/
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I can't remember where I saw this, but apparently the best way to practice appliqué is with heart shapes as they incorporate straight lines, curves and inner and outer points.
    Then again, you can just take the bull by the horns and go for it - my avatar is my second appliqué project and I loved every minute of it.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)