Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique glue question >

Applique glue question

Applique glue question

Old 01-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Default Applique glue question

I have always used Karen Kay Buckley's method of using no melt template plastic then Magic Sizing to make my applique pieces. Our LQS had a new product "Appliquick" which is ironed on back of fabric then s.a. is glued down to this product. I have been giving this new product my best shot however the glue stick I was using made a very big mess. Is it my glue ? What brand or type glue should I be using? We will be traveling soon so I wanted all my pieces ready to go so I could minimize the stuff I would need to take. Please don't tell me the various methods you use, please just talk about the best glue. Thank you very much. Sue
Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Depending on how much time you have, I would stick with what works for you. The only glue I use is the washable glues from Elmer's. Usually lasts until I need to wash.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Since I have not used the appliquick product, I don't know what glue would work best. If your glue stick is too messy, I would try Elmer's liquid washable glue and apply it with a toothpick or similar. A touch with a iron should dry the glue. I have used an Elmer's glue stick for temporarily holding pieces when piecing and that might work.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:01 AM

What is "s.a."? KKB sells a glue stick on her website that she just loves. I don't -- it doesn't seem to stick for me, even if I iron it. So I have used the Elmer's washable glue stick in both white and purple, and both of them work very well. I have some that is clear, but haven't tried it yet. I have also used the Roxanne's glue when I just need a dot or two, and it works very well, so I think the liquid Elmer's washable would work just fine, too. As Tartan noted, I haven't used the appliquick product, so can't speak to how it would react with any of these glues. I also use the KKB method, which has worked fine for me in the past, so I am curious as to how the appliquick improves on it.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:22 AM

I found a site that has a tutorial on this for anyone else interested http://lynetteandersondesigns.typepa...fun-tools.html

I have used Roxannes glue baste it product but honestly it is just like Elmers school glue only it comes in a container with a really nice tip to it. For a glue stick I have used the water soluable glue pen from Sewline and like it mainly because it is not as big around.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 AM

I too have used Roxannes, but now I refill the bottle with cheap washable school glue.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Thanks to all. I will try Elmer's liquid washable and see how that works. My lqs owner insisted this applique method was easier and faster etc. so decided to give it a try. As to what s.a. means it is seam allowance. Sorry. I really thought my applique was nice using KKB method but up to trying other methods to speed things up....probably a bad decision.