Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique  help, please >

Applique help, please

Applique help, please

Old 09-23-2014, 08:42 AM

Default Applique help, please

I bought this pattern at a quilt shop in Granbury. Saw the quilt and loved it. I thought some instructions would be included. There are some but none about how to do the surrounding blocks. The owner did the one hanging in the shop and I called to see if she could give me a little idea of how to do it. She wasn't in and I was told that it is appliquéd and that it is assumed when somebody buys a pattern like this, they know how to applique. Well obviously I don't but I sure would like to try. I tried to fuse it and embroider around and that was terrible as well as with my machine. Does anyone know how to do this. I can't figure out how to do the small areas especially the points. I'm about ready to forget it but I paid $27.06 for the pattern and I don't want to throw my money away. Would appreciate help. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 09-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Well, you've certainly given yourself a challenge with this one! Particularly as you've never appliquéd before. Why not put it to one side until you get a little practice in? Heart shapes are ideal until you get the hang of it and you'll be able to decide whether you prefer zig-zag or blanket stitch. Whichever one you choose, you'll need tiny stitches. Did you notice how the one in the shop was done?

If if you just want to dive in, you could try a simple straight stitch. Although I've never done it myself, McKenna Ryan straight stitches all her appliqué.
Good luck!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

This might sound terrible wrong but it is a suggestion. Have you thought if you can do it in felted wool?? You could at least get those sharp points showing on his body and the only concern is to make sure he is stitched down securely.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:54 PM

As Knitette mentioned, McKenna Ryan uses a straight stitch on her applique and she also uses batik fabrics which in my opinion fray a lot less than other quilting cottons. If you didn't want to use wool then a batik might be the way to go.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:03 PM

I would suggest you get a good book on applique, and start with something simpler. The one I learned from was 'The New Applique Sampler - Learn How to Applique the Piece O'Cake Way', and it's wonderful. The instructions are very clear, with lots of photos. But I'm sure there are many other good titles out there as well. I would not try something so intricate until you've built up some basic skills.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Well I would trace the little critter onto freezer paper. If you don't have a light box tape the pattern to a window. Tape a piece of freezer paper over the pattern...............using a pencil trace the critter onto the freezer paper, on the dull side of the paper. Now, iron the with the shiny side of the freezer paper placed onto the fabric and as Knit said use a batik (less fraying) your fabric must be larger than your critter. Cut out the critter points and all. Than I would place the critter onto my block for the quilt and stitch inside of those points all around equally on the little devil......let the points be free.............I would detail the lines on the back, etc. with stitching. That is how I would do this little critter and I do a intermediate level of hand applique too time consuming for me...........I hope I made this understandable, I am not the best writer................questions? PM me..............calla It will be fun
Old 09-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

wow, it doesn't say anything about the quilt, size or any information here http://www.houstonstmercantile.com/s...OT-x690208.htm
if it's to be a wall hanging, you could use fusible that is permanent and can't and doesn't need to be stitched down.
$26.00 pattern would make me think something came with it other than just a pattern or instructions...
Old 09-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Well I went to the site that native linked to, and what is the barb wire made of? I mean stitching? Do you have to do the blocks with the boots, horse shoes, etc. I understand they are all Texas themes, however couldn't you do the barb wire on all 4 sides? Oh, and native, if you go to the site, products, you will find the size if you look at the kit............calla
Old 09-23-2014, 02:57 PM

I went to the site like posted my native, and I see a boarder at the top, and bottom. How are they done? I understand the side blocks are themes of Texas, however do you need to use them? Could you just do the barb wire also on the sides? Oh, and native if you go to the site, and products, kits, it gives the size..............calla

Last edited by calla; 09-23-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: double posting oops
Old 09-23-2014, 02:58 PM

Well sheesh..............