Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique help >

applique help

applique help

Old 01-15-2010, 03:34 PM

Oh - and I'm planning on doing the same row-by-row. It's really really cute!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

if you don't want to do needle turn for the snowmen - i would make them with either non fusible or fusible interfacing (one sided not 2 like the fusible web your using).

if you want to use the fusible type you would trace the shapes onto your fabric and onto the fusible interfacing. sew them together (right sides together) then cut a snip in the interfacing and turn the piece out (like you would a pillow).

fuse it in place and then use a small blind hem stitch with matching silk thread to attach it permanently down on the background fabric.

be mindful here that the interfacing isn't peaking out from the piece, although with the white snowmen its not so critical since the interfacing is white too.

if you want to use the non-fusible interfacing you would do the exact same thing as above expect i use water soluble thread.

once you have the piece pressed the way you like it, give it a shot of steam or spray with a little water to dissolve the thread.

the interfacing will remove from the piece and you are left with only the needle turned fabric piece.

and then blind hem stitch in place with matching silk thread.

the up side to this, since you are making numerous snowmen you can reuse the interface pieces over and over again.

those tiny little arms are stuff are going to be harder because they aren't even wide enough to have a 1/4 seam on each side.

so you might want to fuse them on with webbing and raw edge or do the needle turn thing like above except trim those seams to 1/8 inch.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:20 PM

What I do with the freezer paper is...
I trace the item I want to applique onto the paper side
cut out the shape then iron the waxy side down on my fabric (right side down).
Cut the fabric around the freezer paper leaving a 1/4" allowance.
I try to iron the allowance over the freezer paper, but this is the part where I mess up. I can't make a good enough seam to iron to so that I can stitch it down.
After that you take the freezer paper off and iron on the applique onto your background at the seams
Old 01-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
What I do with the freezer paper is...
I trace the item I want to applique onto the paper side
cut out the shape then iron the waxy side down on my fabric (right side down).
Cut the fabric around the freezer paper leaving a 1/4" allowance.
I try to iron the allowance over the freezer paper, but this is the part where I mess up. I can't make a good enough seam to iron to so that I can stitch it down.
After that you take the freezer paper off and iron on the applique onto your background at the seams
and you're using fusible web on the wrong side of the fabric while you're doing this? i'm confused.

wouldn't the press under seam be web to web and adhere it down?

then when you fuse it to the background the turned under part wouldn't have any fusible web to iron onto the background fabric.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:58 PM

I'm not sure klue... I'm totally lost with all of this. Beginner and all I'm always lost.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

typically if you're going to turn under using freezer paper you wouldn't use fusible web on the fabric.

do you understand the method i typed out? if so, try that on just a square shape to understand the process and then move up to the snowman pattern.

i'll look around for a tute that shows the method i use.

if you can wait about 2 weeks i'll be posting a tute showing this methods of applique.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:57 AM
Banned

here's a pretty good tute on how to do freezer paper applique.

http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/sea.../Appliqu%C3%A9
Old 01-16-2010, 05:53 AM

I draw pattern piece on freezer paper (On Paper side) then cut it out..I then iron cut out piece(wax side) on top right side of fabric..I then cut around piece adding 1/4 inch around pattern piece..them I put a little piece of wonder under on wrong side of fabric cutout to hold it in place..the freezer paper acts as a guide to turnthe 1/4 under...it is so much easier for me to put paper on top!! Hope you can understand this..
Old 01-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by diannemc
I draw pattern piece on freezer paper (On Paper side) then cut it out..I then iron cut out piece(wax side) on top right side of fabric..I then cut around piece adding 1/4 inch around pattern piece..them I put a little piece of wonder under on wrong side of fabric cutout to hold it in place..the freezer paper acts as a guide to turnthe 1/4 under...it is so much easier for me to put paper on top!! Hope you can understand this..
are you turning under the seam by hand?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:01 AM

Yes I turn it under as I go around the design..I am sending this website. if you scroll down it is under "Now This is the method I use"..
http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...ltingfour.html