Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is applique like a second-level quilting skill? >

Is applique like a second-level quilting skill?

Is applique like a second-level quilting skill?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I mean.... should I be concentrating on regular quilting skills before I pick up an applique pattern?

I can't stop dreaming about future projects - but I'm still so novice to basic quilting. Please give me your experienced advice!
If you like the idea of applique, try it, I love it, started with hand stitched blanket stitching, then needle-turn, then did a machine applique workshop. Love them all, but prefer the hand blanket stitch as I can speed around shapes while sitting in lounge room with my partner. Have also tried a method of stitching the shape to fine non-adhesive interfacing, turning out and stitching to backing fabric, finishes looking like needle-turn (I call it cheats needle-turn).
p.s. gosh this site is addictive, i should be doing my dishes and cleaning out my sewing room ready for make-over. I learn so much here though its hard not to keep looking, and just like to say thanks for past and in anticipation of future helpful advice from you all. Jen
Old 09-14-2010, 07:21 PM

If there is a project you really would like to do, just get it started. Follow it step by step and you can do anything you set your mind to. No journey was ever finished until that first step was taken. If you don't think you got it right, maybe ask someone at your LQS You can do it
Old 09-14-2010, 08:56 PM

I had sewn since a pre-schooler so there wasn't anything I was afraid to try so the second quilt I made was MoonGlow by Jenny Beyer. Lots of mariner compass and applique. When I finished it I was told that it was not a beginner quilt. Don't worry about it-if you feel you want to do something go for it. I have been quilting since '03 and finished my first applique quilt in June of this year. It isn't perfect BUT it is beautiful so who cares??? I hand applique using no melt templates and Magic Sizing to shape the pieces. I just couldn't get the hang of needle turn and really wanted to learn applique. There are lots of ways to applique so
just keep trying until you find what fits with you. Good luck, Sue
Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I mean.... should I be concentrating on regular quilting skills before I pick up an applique pattern?

I can't stop dreaming about future projects - but I'm still so novice to basic quilting. Please give me your experienced advice!
I am a self taught quilter and throw all the rules out the window when I start a new project. I don't try to figure out what experience level it is. If it's something I want to do I just try to figure out a way. The second quilt I made was all applique and I had never done it before and it came out great. It's been a few years and I fretted and worried about it not coming out. Well, it's been washed many, many times and is still holding up very well. So, I say if you want to do it, then just go for it. It will be a learning experience for you and will help you build your skills. If you put off learning it, then you never will. So I say go for it. And good luck!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by quilter64779
But please learn needle turn or to use the freezer paper.
Any particular reason why?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:08 PM

Your snowman is adorable. I love to fuse and applique. I always just trim the threads and put a dab of Fray Check on the ends. I haven't had one ravel yet. Thanks for sharing your snow man. Let us see th whole quilt when you're finished.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by natalieg
You can applique either way! I jsut tried my first real effort at applique this weekend! He is a bit rough around the edges, gotta adjust some stitches next time. The best advice I received was to use wonder under or steam a seam. I used wonder under and it was huge help! I still have to find out what to do with the strings???? Any helpers? I have heard that you pull them through to the back with a needle and tie them. I also have to place his buttons appropriately and sew them on. Then, I think I'm gonna make a zinger border out of the white or the tourqouise and then a piced border from what all I have left-looks like he might only be big enough for a wall hanging.

I think he is awesome. And yes please pull your threads to the back and tie them. That way your snowman will not become unravelled if washed. K
Be gentle with comments-he is my first try-LOL!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 PM

Your snowman is so cute!!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:09 PM

I always use felt matt. so I don't have to turn the edges.I usually make pin cousins or sofa pillows and have animal designs on them. I know I could do that neddle turning you ladys talk about.Ill try it next time. Handquilter
Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 PM

Can someone explain what needle turning is? and is it only for hand sewn applique? I haven't tried applique yet.