Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique: OK to keep stabilizer on and not tear away before sewing? >

Applique: OK to keep stabilizer on and not tear away before sewing?

Applique: OK to keep stabilizer on and not tear away before sewing?

Old 11-13-2021, 11:10 AM

Question Applique: OK to keep stabilizer on and not tear away before sewing?

Hi everyone,

So glad to find this forum!

I searched the forums for this answer before posting, but didn't readily find an answer. I'm pretty new to applique, although I've been a quilter for years. I'm using Sulky tear away stabilizer for an appliqued quilt. (The original pattern calls for the tin foil method, which I've tried and really dislike, so I tried another way, which really works well.) I really like the look of the pieces with the stabilizer still on the back.

Is it okay to keep the stabilizer on and sew? I'm concerned that washing the quilt would perhaps make this stabilizer bunch up and disort the pieces, I guess.

Thanks so much!

Kim
Old 11-13-2021, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

If it is tear away stabilizer it will make the appliqué stiff. Any paper left in a quilt, ends up making little wads after repeated washing. Try trimming the stabilizer close to the stitching under the appliqué so you can remove the majority of it. A little left under the outside stitching should be okay and will help stabilize the edge.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:24 AM

Thanks very much. I definitely don't want the paper wadding up on this quilt. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:09 PM

Yes, I use Sharon Schrambers Foundation behind my appliqué pieces. You can buy it from her daughter’s website. It’s www.purpledaisiesquilting.com.
I do needle turn appliqué. The foundation will puff up after it’s washed to look a bit padded. I love it. The foundation gives a nice edge to help with smooth needle turning. It’s not quite stabilizer. Have been using it for at least 5 years. She has regular and light. I put the foundation over the pattern to trace the shape. I use a light box pad. Just cut your shape and the fabric about 1/8th inch larger.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:23 AM

You might think about using a wash away stabilizer as it will go away.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:49 AM

Thanks, everyone! I will check out the needle turn applique. It's that slightly puffy look that I am aiming for. I see now, after doing a test piece before I posted this yesterday, that leaving this tear away stabilizer in just made the piece scratchy. Ugh
Old 11-14-2021, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
Yes, I use Sharon Schrambers Foundation behind my appliqué pieces. You can buy it from her daughter’s website. It’s www.purpledaisiesquilting.com.
I do needle turn appliqué. The foundation will puff up after it’s washed to look a bit padded. I love it. The foundation gives a nice edge to help with smooth needle turning. It’s not quite stabilizer. Have been using it for at least 5 years. She has regular and light. I put the foundation over the pattern to trace the shape. I use a light box pad. Just cut your shape and the fabric about 1/8th inch larger.
Gail,

That website is fabulous! I had never heard of them, but they have all sorts of patterns and beautiful colors/ideas!

I really think my pieces come out a lot better this way too, versus what the original pattern called for (cutting the pieces out and folding them around the cardboard template).

Here's what I'm working on. I found the pattern referenced in an older magazine, and it's free and still available online.

https://pbsfabrics.com/collections/o...-quilt-pattern