Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: applique questiom

Blog Entries

applique questiom

I am making a quilt for my granddaughter which has a lot of appliques. I want to use a light weight thread to apply these appliques. I do had Accufil thread but I think I want a thinner thread. I think nylon thread is lighter. This quilt will be wash frequently. I use the cotton Accufil thread for piecing. What advice can you give me.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I would use silk.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    I use silk thread most of the time for appliqué- which I do a lot of. Right now I think Superior Threads is having a sale on their silk threads. Most of my silks are YLI and Sulky. I do have a few from Superior Threads too.
    100 wt silk is very strong and very fine thread. I also have some 60 wt silks. Silk pretty much disappears on appliqué and is wonderful smooth thread to work with.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Superior Threads has 60 weight and 100 weight polyester thread, which should work fine. Silk is great but spendy. Rayon is probably not strong enough for repeated washings. Aurifil cotton thread is good but I dislike its tendency to coil.
    Margaret F

Blog Entries
    i agree with silk, it is very light and very strong
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I have used nylon monofilament thread (.003mm) for applique a lot. It is the most invisible thread I have found for turned-edge machine applique with a small hem stitch. There are some tricks to using it without problems, such as lowering the top tension on the machine, that you would want to know before using it. You also need to use a good brand of this thread, as off-brands can have problems. I like YLI nylon monofilament.

For a quilt that will be used a lot and washed frequently, however, I would use a 100wt polyester thread. Nylon thread is simply not as nice to touch as polyester thread. I would use 100wt polyester rather then silk thread because silk, being a natural fiber, can deteriorate under adverse circumstances (such as lots of washing, harsh detergents, exposure to light, etc.). Of the 3 types of thread -- nylon monofilament, polyester, and silk -- polyester will last the longest, yet still feels very nice. Nylon thread can possibly become brittle over time (although this may no longer be a problem due to newer manufacturing techniques; hard to be sure at this time), probably due to exposure to light, and polyester thread does not have this problem at all, so again I think polyester thread is safer.

Rayon needs to be avoided, as it will not hold up to abrasion (as in a washing machine or dryer) at all.
    Last edited by Prism99; 05-20-2017 at 12:27 PM.

I use Bottom Line or Masterpiece for all my appliqué stitching, and they disappear beautifully into my appliqué. Buy the donut - one bobbin lasts FOREVER and there's a color that can be used for every fabric!
    https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop...er-bobs-donut/

Here's a sample of what I'm working on now, using Masterpiece. Love this thread.
    Name:  IMG_5914.JPG
Views: 976
Size:  519.9 KB
    Last edited by cindi; 05-20-2017 at 01:44 PM.

I would check out invisifil or decobob by wonderfil, lovely threads
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I would check out invisifil or decobob by wonderfil, lovely threads
    I've been using the 100 weight Invisifil.
    It is almost like working with a silk thread.

While it is coloured, because it is so fine, it becomes almost invisible as you work with it.
    Lovely for applique.

It works nicely when sewing on binding.
    For that I use double strands, which are still virtually invisible.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

For hand applique, my favorite is silk. For machine applique (or for hand applique) I have read lots of favorable reviews for microquilter 100 wt polyester thread, so I have just ordered some and can't wait to try it for machine applique.

Blog Entries
    I would only use the Aurifil or silk, you want a light thread but one that will hold up. These will do that. Aurifil only has 2 strands.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I use Invisifil for all my hand applique if I don't want the stitches to show. Very thin! Readily available at Soft Expressions. I think it is good for machine applique, too.

http://www.wonderfil.ca/invisafil/
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    I use Invisifil for all my hand applique if I don't want the stitches to show. Very thin! Readily available at Soft Expressions. I think it is good for machine applique, too. http://www.wonderfil.ca/invisafil/
    I've even used it for FMQing without any problems!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I too use the Bottom Line thread. I love it for applique and English Paper Piecing!
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I use either silk or Superior Bottom Line which is polyester for hand applique. I see that most of the answers are referring to hand applique but dflynn didn't specify that she was doing hand applique. If you want to machine applique then use a monofiliment thread. It comes in clear and smoke color. Superior makes a good one.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased from Honey Bee silk. Nice to work with

I love to use silk on hand appliqué. It buries in the fabric and becomes invisible.