Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique question >

Applique question

Applique question

Old 04-03-2016, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
And this is a great Edyta Sitar video on choosing fusible web for applique. She should know - she does a LOT of applique!
http://youtu.be/35NgfVRtGKo
Thanks so much for sharing. I really enjoy Edyta. I'll look for more of her on YouTube.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by pal View Post
I know that this does not answer your question, but please give this some thought.

Since it is for a baby and will be washed many, many times please consider using something like the Eleanor Burns method of appliqué. I use the same fabric, right side to right side and sew around it. Then slit it in the back and turn right side out. Now you have an enclosed appliqué piece that you can sew down and it won't unravel. You can also put a piece of batting on it before you sew it to make it puff a little, and then cut off the batting outside the seam line.

Just a thought over coffee.....
Or use a discarded dryer sheet instead of a second layer of fabric. Turn right side out and either whip stitch it down being sure to use the fabric (not the dryer sheet) for your stitches or machine stitch it in place.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
Misty Fuse has no paper backing, but I iron parchment paper to it and use that as a peel away backing!
Wow! Now I'm wondering if I can print on the parchment paper prior to fusing to the fabric, cut and fuse down? That'd be awesome!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by UncleGravy View Post
Wow! Now I'm wondering if I can print on the parchment paper prior to fusing to the fabric, cut and fuse down? That'd be awesome!
It's freezer paper that has a paper side & is printable, not parchment paper. I don't think parchment paper would print well because both sides are identical and coated with silicone. If you don't mind a 2-step process, you could print the design on freezer paper & iron to the right side of the fabric (make sure the design is not reversed), then add the Misty Fuse to the back. Peel away your parchment paper & then cut on the lines on the front. When you're finished, the freezer paper would easily peel away and you could keep reusing the parchment sheet since it's not cut to size.