Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique question >

Applique question

Applique question

Old 08-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Default Applique question

What is the best way you have found to raw edge applique a light fabric onto a dark background without the dark showing through? I'm doing a quilt with a state seal as a medallion center, and have some small white stars that need to be appliqued over a dark blue background. Also, some white silhouettes that will be off-set over black ones. The pieces are too small to line, at least it seems to me like that would be out of the question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I would fuse several layers of white together, using a very lightweight fusible, then cut out the stars.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Thank you. That's a good idea. I'm going to be using a lighter weight fusible than I have used before because I want to do some fmq on the bigger pieces, and my machine did not like sewing through the product I've used in the past. It should work well fusing several layers of fabric together with this stuff.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Misty Fuse would work well for this. It is extremely lightweight and does not add bulk.
https://www.amazon.com/Attached-Mist...dp/B005H2050Q/

Edit: I noticed the heading on that link said "interfacing", but if it's the version of Misty Fuse that I use, it is not interfacing; it is a fusible web, so it fuses both sides. You might want to double check that, as an interfacing that fuses only one side won't work for your needs. However, the package looks like mine, so I am thinking it just a mistake in the description.

A couple of tips for using Misty Fuse. Use parchment paper on top of your ironing board, and another sheet of parchment paper on top of what you are fusing. This protects both your ironing board and your iron from getting fusible on them by accident. Also, don't work if the Misty Fuse has some wrinkles in it. It is so thin and fine, you can fuse several layers of it together without adding bulk.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-08-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

If the pieces are tiny, I might look for a thicker fabric that doesn't fray like suede or similar.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Can you add just a thin outline of the iron-on? Then you could attach the piece just along the outline, secure the seam, and cut away the dark fabric behind.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:44 PM

Would trapunto work?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:58 PM

I line the white with Stay Flex a Pellon product. It is white muslin like fabric with an iron-on side. I then use heat n bond lite. When ironing the appliqué to your project it takes a bit long to make sure they stick.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:33 AM

Try lining/fusing the white fabric with a light beige or tan fabric. Similar to wearing white shorts with beige undies.

Misty fuse is lightweight and would work for fusing the two fabrics together first. Good luck!