Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique question >

Applique question

Applique question

Old 12-09-2017, 09:12 PM

We always use steam a seam 2 lite, it is the easiest and most reliable to use.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:08 PM

If you used fusible interfacing, it would be stuck to only one side - either the applique or the background. What is the name of your product? I think you used interfacing and it now stuck to your applique fabric. Warm it gently and try to pull it off. If it doesn't come off and you have no more fabric to start over with Steam a Seam or Wonder Under, then use one of those along with the interfacing. The applique will have more body, but in most cases that won't matter too much.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Power Poster

Yes, interfacing has only one fusible side (and no paper). Fusibles used for applique usually have both sides fusible, but one side is covered with paper so you can fuse just one side at a time. I forgot that you might have purchased interfacing.

So, to answer your question, yes -- there is a difference between fusible interfacing and fusible webbing.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:24 AM

I prefer Heat and Bond Light. When trying to remove the paper run a pin down the back a couple inches and it will peel off in large pieces.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:45 AM

The problem is definitely interfacing vs webbing. I bought lightweight interfacing and mediumweight webbing not realizing there was a difference other than the weight. I did a test with the mw webbing and the paper peeled off like a banana. Of course I couldn't peel it off on the interfacing because there was no paper to peel off. So this is how we learn, lol.

I was going to continue on with using the interface but decided it will be better to start afresh with the webbing. A bit frustrating but not the end of the world.

Thank you for your help!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by MeadowMist View Post
I just watched an applique video on youtube so now I get what is supposed to be happening, I guess I should have done that before I even started!

But what is supposed to happening is definitely not happening over here. There is no way I can peel the paper off in one nice easy piece. At best it comes off in tiny tiny pieces, but the majority does not come off at all. The few spots in which I have been able to peel something off do not fuse to new fabric when I try doing that. Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong? Are there different kinds of fusible interfacing - oh, I think I figured it out!!! is there a difference between fusible interfacing and fusible webbing? I must have bought the wrong stuff. Now what? I can't start over. I have the appliques stuck to the fabric and my next step was to cut out the pieces and then stitch them on. Dang, feel like I wasted the last 8 hours.
If you accidentally bought fusible interfacing, all is not lost. Pick up some Elmer’s school glue (about $1) and a small paint kind of stiff paint brush. Dab the glue around the edges on the interfacing with the paint brush. Place where you want it, using two pressing cloths, (cheap dollar store kitchen towels) under and on top of the project, and press, do not iron. You can even layer appliqués this way, and do all the stitching at once unless you have to change thread color, then just do one layer at a time. It may seem stiffer, (which helps with satin stitching around the edges) but when you wash it the first time, the glue will dissolve and make it softer again. (FYI - when using Elmer’s school glue, and pressing to dry, you will see the glue showing on the front of your fabric, just ignore it and keep working and it will all wash out in the end.)
Old 12-10-2017, 12:15 PM

Sometimes I have to use a pin to cut a little slit in it to enable starting a piece to pull off.
Originally Posted by MeadowMist View Post
Wait a minute . . . . I just tried peeling the paper off and it does not peel. Am I missing a piece of the puzzle?