Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Applique question

Applique question

I am doing the dance of the dragonflies quilt (you can find it here: https://www.keepsakequilting.com/dan...-quilt-pattern )

I've got everything cut out and all the pieces ironed on to the black wings and body.

My question is this: In the pattern it says iron everything onto the front of the quilt (fabric provided) and then put the batting and then the backing. And then do the applique.

I'm wondering if I couldn't applique the pieces of fabric onto the wings and body before I put it all on the front piece of the quilt. Since there is black fabric in between all of the colours, I could then sew with black thread between all the colours when all three layers are together.

make sense?

Ideas? This is second time doing applique and my first was not as pretty LOL

Thanks so much,

Marion

I’ve never done applique this way. Usually, you iron on the applique pieces to your background, stitch them down, then add batting & backing and quilt it.

If I understand you correctly, you can fuse the parts all together and then fuse the one large applique shape to the quilt. Build your pieces on an applique sheet so that you can peel it off and adhere it to the quilt easily. Toni Whitney uses that technique in her patterns, I did her Eagle one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
    I'm wondering if I couldn't applique the pieces of fabric onto the wings and body before I put it all on the front piece of the quilt. Since there is black fabric in between all of the colours, I could then sew with black thread between all the colours when all three layers are together.
    Marion
    You can certainly do it that way!

Power Poster
    The pieces look flimsy and might all pucker up with the stitching if they are not on a background. Can you try a small scrap sample first?

We've had them in the shop where I work. I think it needs to be quilted and appliqued at the same time, so there isn't extra thread showing on the top, that might distract from the design.
    Annette in Utah

I sew the appliqué on the front when it's sandwiched, as the pattern instructs. Time saver since you will not have to stitch quilt around the appliqué. (Unless you use trapunto method) But it's really a personal preference and your way would work, too. And, if appliqué has layers, I just glue baste (I don't do raw edge appliquing) them together as one unit then glue baste to quilt top. Then you just have to sew appliqués on whatever edge is visible. Saves time here too. I love this pattern but have never seen it finished so I'll look forward to seeing your project when completed.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    My guess is they do it this way so you are doing the applique and your quilting at the same time and do not require 'extra' stitching later. This lets the applique design stand alone. Then you would only have to quilt in the outside area.

I did this one for my daughter. I followed the directions exactly. Placed the background on my dining room table and was able to use the picture on the pattern to lay out the dragonflies. The pieces were backed with fusable before i placed them on the background Once dragonflies were in place I fused them in place and used invisible thread to go around each dragonfly. Used a pebble stitch to quilt the light parts of the background. Also used straight lines on the black parts of the background. Hope this makes sense. My daughter loves it.

I just finished " summer breeze" from keepsake quilting. If you follow their directions the sewing down of applique is your quilting and it comes out AWESOME! I used a very tiny blanket stitch and it almost looks like straight stitch! I entered it our local fairs quilt show and the judges where impressed by the way I quilted it.

Blog Entries
    slederer What were the length and width of your stitch settings.

I agree with Tartan. I have had this happen to me before. If you want to do it that way I would use something on the back to make it more stable.

I'm almost done with Mistral, my first Toni Whitney pattern. The applique is done through all three layers to hold the fabric down and give the piece a dimensional look, at least it does on this horse...the mane is awesome looking!

I have done several appliqued quilts (all of them baby quilts), and most of them (but not all) have been Sunbonnet Sue. I assembled the applique pieces either in the order as instructed, or mostly just used common sense, fused them to the individual blocks (I think my blocks were 10" square on the last one I did). Then, using my Singer 403, I stitched around each piece, using the "satin" stitch or, some call it buttonhole stitch, using a stabilizer (a/k/a Stitch-N-Tear Lite) on the back of each block. Once the applique pieces are stitched in place, tear away the stabilizer, assemble the quilt blocks, sandwich the quilt and quilt it. If your pattern instructs you otherwise, then I would do as the pattern instructs, unless you are experienced enough to do otherwise.

I have always done the applique first and the quilting after the sandwich.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I had a friend who was privileged to have quilt at the Smithsonian; she usually assembled the applique in a single unit and then appliqued the finished unit to the quilt top.