Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique question >

Applique question

Applique question

Old 06-09-2020, 07:00 AM

Default Applique question

ask 10 quilters how to applique, and you get 10 different answers..... I know, I know, but I'm going to try anyway.

I do not want to do a raw edge, I want some kind of finished edge for my applique. What method will produce the sharpest points? My points are 45 degree angles and I want to keep them sharp and crisp.

Thank you!
Old 06-09-2020, 07:08 AM

I've watched 10 quilters, and even though I don't do much applique myself, I'd say the answer is somewhere in the use of glue (sticks or dots of elmers) and folding first no matter how you then finish it.

I was in a group with a woman who did the most marvelous wall art, truly intricate stuff using the monofilament thread and tiny little stitches on her machine.

I had another friend and her thing was typically hand work with silk thread and needles that I could barely see even 20 years ago.

Do you want a finished outer edge for your quilt, or is this for the crispness of an inner design? Think it's easier not as an outer edge.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:14 AM

I use a dot of glue and a blind stitch when I applique for the points. Works great and not stitching really shows.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:53 AM

Some very detailed how-tos:
https://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-p...lique-lessons/

Make sure you scroll down and check out *all* her lessons.

Last edited by Peckish; 06-09-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:11 AM

My friend does beautiful applique work and she does needle turn and gets her points so perfect. I think in needle turn method you can manipulate the fabric better to get sharp points.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
My friend does beautiful applique work and she does needle turn and gets her points so perfect. I think in needle turn method you can manipulate the fabric better to get sharp points.
I rather agree with this. Lately, I've tried fusible raw edge and don't care for the points that sometimes fray too much.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:14 PM

thank you everyone! I have never done turn edge, so I guess was hoping to avoid it, but I think that is the way to go. will experiment with a bit of glue to make it less frustrating!
Old 06-11-2020, 07:29 AM

I did needle turn applique when I joined the quilt-along on this board for Affairs of the Heart. I was rather new to needle turn but I got a lot of good advice from other members with a lot of experience. I used freezer paper. I traced the design onto the plain side of the freezer paper, cut it out and then I ironed the shiny side of the paper to the back of the fabric for applique. I found the secret to sharp points is small stitches and trimming excess fabric away so the point lies flat. I would then make a small slit in the foundation fabric and remove the freezer paper. I am very please with the results. Good luck and I always enjoy learning new ways to quilt and applique.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:26 PM

That sounds like the typical needle-turn I expected. However.... the fabric I will be appliqueing is not just a piece of fabric I can cut out from around the freezer paper. it is pieced. Its not exactly like this, but imagine a pieced lonestar that needs to be appliqued on a background fabric. I think I will have to piece my shape, then just measure a 1/4" from the edge to turn over? I don't think the freezer paper method will work, right?
Old 06-12-2020, 03:56 AM

You can cut pieces of the freezer paper and iron them over your patchwork, so for that lone star example you can make those big points "design size" (no seam allowance), iron them on and then use that for your seam fold point.

Helps stabilize the pieced part while you turn those corners.