Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Questions >

Applique Questions

Applique Questions

Old 05-10-2020, 03:06 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I finished my project (I will post a pic later today). I ended up trying a variety of needles that I had in house (as my LQS is obviously not open) as well as a couple of techniques. I first tried using a template and starch but all I had for template material was card stock. I kind of worked (lol) but I really liked the results I got from needle turn. My hearts were not perfect but look good from a distance. I just first grabbed a "between" that I had stuck into my pin cushion but after reading your posts I went digging through all my stuff and found a Straw needle sz 11 that worked nicely.

I have never seen Tulip needles - I will have to check them out. I did go online and order a neutral set of silk threads from Superior. And Peckish - David Taylor lives the next town over. I have known several gals who have taken a class with him. I might have to look into it if I continue to play with this!!

Again - Thanks for your help.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:46 AM

So, here are the final applique pieces. Far from perfect but not too bad for a first whack at it. The leaves I did with a light fusible and that turned out to be more hassle than it was worth. The hearts are needle turn and are not as "smooth" around the curves as I had hoped they would be, but I am sure that will take practice. Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails hearts.jpg   flowers_sm.jpg  
Old 05-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Not bad at all. Don't know if mine are any better and I have been at it for a few years!
Old 05-10-2020, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

nicely done
Old 05-11-2020, 08:09 AM

I use a Roxanne applique needle, but plan to try the Tulip needles. I match my thread to the piece being appliqued and use Superior Threads Masterpiece bobbins (they sell the older 2-ply Masterpiece thread on bobbins for applique), or their silk thread.

I highly recommend the Piece 'O Cake ladies books or tutorials. They give very detailed instructions on needle-turn.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I use a Roxanne applique needle, but plan to try the Tulip needles. I match my thread to the piece being appliqued and use Superior Threads Masterpiece bobbins (they sell the older 2-ply Masterpiece thread on bobbins for applique), or their silk thread.

I highly recommend the Piece 'O Cake ladies books or tutorials. They give very detailed instructions on needle-turn.
Thanks - I will have to look into that book. I actually tried to purchase those bobbins but they were out so I ordered the silk thread. I will try that for the next go around but will keep an eye out for those bobbins if the silk doesn't work for me. We will see - lol - this is all new to me!!
Old 05-12-2020, 09:05 AM

I was self taught years before the internet for guidance. I used what I had, and found that a beading needle worked great...it has just enough flex in it to work for me. I have tried other needles over the years, and always go back to the beading needle. I find the regular applique needles are just too short for me to get used to.
Another tip..when pulling your thread though to the top of the fabric, place your thumb on top of thread as it is coming through..you will rarely get a knot or tangle this way.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
I was self taught years before the internet for guidance. I used what I had, and found that a beading needle worked great...it has just enough flex in it to work for me. I have tried other needles over the years, and always go back to the beading needle. I find the regular applique needles are just too short for me to get used to.
Another tip..when pulling your thread though to the top of the fabric, place your thumb on top of thread as it is coming through..you will rarely get a knot or tangle this way.
Thanks - never thought of using a beading needle ....I will kept that thought for the next time I try applique. Great advice also about the thumb on the thread - I do that when I am doing bindings. Here goes my admission of guilt - lol - I always cut my thread way too long because I am lazy and if I do not use the thumb trick it always knots.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:13 PM

I'm grateful for this thread (ha pun) and needle references! -I'm nearing the end of a quilt and I really want to applique some bits on the top after it's pieced. I've a few appropriate needles but I'll need to get a lighter weight thread, for sure. Glad I read this! Eparys, your work looks wonderful, and is encouraging for me!
Old 05-12-2020, 06:00 PM

I like the John James betweens #11. I thought that I would like the appliqué needles but find them too short. The longer needles really help with the turning process. I’ve tried out many different threads. Any thinner thread will do a good job and stay hidden well but I like Mettler 60/2 best. The silk thread drove me crazy. I’ve recently started doing reverse appliqué and absolutely doing it. Also, I want to encourage everyone new to appliqué that it really does get better with practice
Vicki in Colorado

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-13-2020 at 03:42 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps