Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique on a quilt already quilted? >

Applique on a quilt already quilted?

Applique on a quilt already quilted?

Old 05-10-2014, 05:49 AM

Default Applique on a quilt already quilted?

Can I applique using fusible web on a quilt that has already been quilted but doesn't have binding? I noticed a flaw in the fabric on one of the borders and would like to put something over it as its a gift to someone. And if I can...how do I stitch the applique?
Old 05-10-2014, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

If I were you, I would do a needle turn applique. Then you won't have to worry about any fraying occurring. Just do a blind stitch like that is done on hand sewing the binding tot he back. Noe sure what fabric you have on the back because you need to match the thread with the applique and it may show up on the back of the quilt. Good Luck !!
Old 05-10-2014, 06:51 AM

I would do straight stitch machine applique or a teeny zig zag with invisible thread on top and thread that matches the backing in the bobbin.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

If you want to edge stitch the appliqué by machine, it is going to show on the back. If you don't want that then you will have to hand stitch the appliqué to the front. If it is a simple shape, I suggest you do the turn inside out appliqué with a used dryer sheet or light interfacing. You put the dryer sheet against the right side of the appliqué shape. Using a small stitch length you stitch around the appliqué shape. Clip or use pinking shears to cut 1/4 inch around the appliqué edge. Cut a small slit in the dryer sheet to turn the appliqué right side out and press until perfect. It is now ready to hand appliqué to the quilt surface.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:45 AM

Thank you very much for all the quick replies!!!!