Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Applique Quilt Question

Applique Quilt Question

Hi, First of all, I'm not sure I'm posting this question in the right place...but I just bought the quilt pattern "Bloom" by V and Co. It was suppose to be easy but doesn't tell how to applique the petals on the quilt. I guess I could use a zigzag or blanket stitch but I'm concerned about how that would look in the center where the stitches meet. Has anyone else made this quilt? I could use some advice. BTW I'm new to quilting and this is my first appliqued quilt. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

I hear you!! I bought a pattern from a different co but it said "use your favorite applique method"...what helped me was utube, this board, and doing searches of free tutorials and then just trying the different methods like needle turn or fusible machine stitch. Sometimes you just have to practice a method to see if you will like it...maybe on some scrap frabric. Good luck!!

Blog Entries
    If you can, get Harriet Hargrave's book which explains in detail different ways to do applique. Here is a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach...dp/157120136X/

My preference is freezer paper applique (with edges turned under using white school paste rather than a glue stick) and a small reverse hem stitch. For a baby quilt, I would probably choose a fine polyester or cotton thread for the applique stitch.

Blog Entries
    My preference is freezer paper applique with edges turned under and starched. I don't care much for the buttonhole-stitch look, it's not my style.

My friend took a Sharon Schamber class where she learned Sharon's method of applique: she pre-washes (and therefore pre-shrinks) her applique fabrics, but NOT her background fabric. She topstitches her appliques with a very small stitch, close to the edge. When she washes the quilt, the background fabric shrinks, pulling the applique in and under the stitching. I don't know if she washed the top before quilting or not, but I would think she'd have to, to get the applique edges under. I'm fascinated by this method and have always wanted to try it on something small.

My favorite is the look of needle turn appliqué . But I love handwork, even on binding
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    This book, Applique 12 Different Ways by applique master Elly Sienkiewicz, has always been a favorite of mine. Available used on Amazon.com.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I bought this kit.
    I'm planning on stitching the petal fabric to a one sided fusible, slice the back, turn it inside out, fuse to the background fabric , and then stitch down using my machine. It's a lovely project and the fabric they provide is beautiful.

This link might explain it better than I did:
    http://ajpadilla.com/tutorials/begin...le-interfacing

Thanks to all of you,,the tutorial did help. I've got some of the flowers made but was wondering how to stitch them so the center of the flower would look right.

I didn't buy the kit because I wanted to use different colors. I understand how to make the flowers and have already made a few..I just don't understand how to stitch them on the quilt without overlapping the stitches in the center of the flower. Are you planning on zigzagging the flower to the quilt?

Blog Entries
    It sounds like you are doing machine applique. Is that Right? I have done a lot of machine raw edge applique and sometimes I want the thread to show so I use the quilting applique stitch that I can adjust to the width and length I want. Other times I use matching thread to each piece so it doesn't show or the clear or gray monofilament thread so it doesn't show. When I have a lot of pieces meet, I gradually shorten the width of the stitch, for the last 1/2" or so, almost down to nothing where it comes together. Does this make sense?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyFay View Post
    I just don't understand how to stitch them on the quilt without overlapping the stitches in the center of the flower.
    Ok here is how I would do it. I would pre-assemble the flowers first. If you're going to use fusible, apply the fusible to the appliques, put the bottom petals on the parchment with the fusible side down, then lay the upper petals on top. When you get them where you want them, press, fusing them together. You can do this one petal at a time. Then carefully peel the applique off the parchment, place it where you want on the quilt, and fuse it. Then stitch. I would stitch around just the outer edges of the bottom petals, and around ALL edges of the top petals. The stitching on the top petals will lock the bottom petals in place.

You could use this same technique with washable school glue, just be VERY sparing with the glue. Use just a tiny dot every inch or so, you're simply trying to hold the applique in place until you get it stitched. Freezer paper method, same thing - fusible or school glue.

Regarding the stitching - I wouldn't do a satin stitch on this one. Blanket stitch, straight stitch if you've fused or turned the edges 1/4" under, or a small zigzag would work, or you could hand-stitch. Once you're done, you can decide if you want to cut away the background fabric and that center spot where the flowers overlap, or you can just leave it there. Personal preference.

If you're set on machine-stitching, I would cut the fabric a little bigger around the outside, fold it under, and stabilize using fusible. Then I'd straight-stitch around the pieces right at the edges.

Personally, I prefer to needle-turn applique - no visible stitches!
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

Blog Entries
    I am just taking up applique, this looks very helpful. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe View Post
    This link might explain it better than I did:
    http://ajpadilla.com/tutorials/begin...le-interfacing
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Thank you, I will practice first and try this!

Yes I'm doing machine applique. I'm stitching fusible to the back of the petal then making a slit in the fusible and turning them. I just didn't want a "wod" of thread where all the petals meet in the center. Thanks for your answer.

Blog Entries
    I'm stitching fusible to the back of the petal then making a slit in the fusible and turning them.
    I'm surprised to learn that you're "stitching" fusible to the back. Can you not fuse it? Or are you using a fusible that is really more of an interfacing, with the glue on one side only? You are welcome to use that, and there is nothing wrong with it. I just want to say there IS a product called fusible web that is nothing but the glue, and will therefore be less bulky. You can fuse it onto the wrong side of the applique pieces (sandwich the fabrics between two sheets of parchment paper first, so you don't get glue on your iron or your board), then fuse the applique pieces onto the background.

yes, the instructions said to stitch fusible on the petal, then slit the interfacing and turn right side out, then press each petal in place.

I like the fusible interfacing process. I don't find it particularly bulky, and I find the finished project much softer. And, I still have the option of hand stitching the interfaced piece down, if I want. Yes, you can trim the fusible wonder under to create windows to make the appliques less stiff, but I find that time consuming and I have to sew those down by machine.

Hi, I have another question for you. LOL When you get ready to quilt the front to the back are you going to stitch around your blooms first and then stitch a pattern to the rest of the quilt or are you planning on stitching a pattern over the entire quilt petals and all? I cannot find any pictures showing a pattern as to how it would look.

Blog Entries
    Hi, I have another question for you. LOL When you get ready to quilt the front to the back are you going to stitch around your blooms first and then stitch a pattern to the rest of the quilt or are you planning on stitching a pattern over the entire quilt petals and all? I cannot find any pictures showing a pattern as to how it would look.
    You can do either. It all depends on the appliques and how YOU want it to look. I know, not very helpful.

If your applique shapes are large, you can quilt something inside them. For instance, you can quilt veins in a leaf shape, a whirligig in a circle shape, etc. If your applique shapes are small, you can quilt around the edges and leave the petals or leaves alone, which will make them pop out of the quilt more.

Check out Heather Mulder Peterson's blog here: https://ankastreasures.wordpress.com...-house-quilts/

That's one example of how you can quilt something. You might go roam around her blog for a while, she has lots of great examples of quilting that is beautiful and effective, without being overly fussy or difficult to do.