Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Applique Scissors

Applique Scissors

I know there are so many products out there directed toward us quilters that really are just a waste of money but since I'm going to try doing hand applique, is it worth buying the specialized applique scissors? I know I'll need something with a very sharp edge at the tip of the scissor. We have a lot of pros here when it comes to applique but this will be my first attempt so anything I can do to make it easier on me, so I don't get discouraged, I'm willing to try. Thoughts?
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Thanks for posting this question. I will be checking back in to see what our experienced friends have to say.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Blog Entries
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Banned
    yes the "duck bill" scissors and great for applique. In fact, I recently bought a pair that are much smaller than those we normally see. They cut cleanly right up to the point where you want to trim the applique.

All I use are a small pair of very sharp scissors. I use them for fussy cutting and to clip thread. Mine are small fiskars I got at Walmart. I don't feel I need anything else.

KR
    I absolutely love Karen Kay Buckley's scissors!!! Available in 2 sizes, the blades are lightly serrated so fabric doesn't slip as you're cutting.
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift....that's why it's called the present.
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    I absolutely love Karen Kay Buckley's scissors!!! Available in 2 sizes, the blades are lightly serrated so fabric doesn't slip as you're cutting.
    I second that. I love them
    Sharon

purchased Ginghers at Joanns with 50% off coupon
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Blog Entries
    I have a small pair of Wiss scissors and I love them! In fact, I have mild fits if anyone dares to touch them and I am not usually so selfish. They are really sharp and they are all I need.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Can't help you but I just wanted to say that Karen Kay Buckley lives in my hometown. She isn't from there originally but her husband is. Amazing what you find out on this board.

I love applique scissors! My favorite is by Gingher. I lost them and bought another pair of Applique scissors by Gingher. The new pair is larger. I fould the old pair and like it much, much better. I also like my applique scissors by Dovo and KAI. The other applique sicissors I have are just so so. I do not have Karen Kay Buckley scissors; but comments make me want a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
    I have a small pair of Wiss scissors and I love them! In fact, I have mild fits if anyone dares to touch them and I am not usually so selfish. They are really sharp and they are all I need.
    I had to laugh at you having mild fits if someone touches your scissors because my son just can't understand why I won't let him use my scissors to cut paper.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Hummm, I had never thought to buy the applique scissors for applique because my small ones worked so well. I might have to look into them. And yes, my family is so aware that if my scissors are ruined by paper, then I have no reason why not to cut up fishing lines, xBox games, etc. with them anymore.--LOL
    Lisa Gibbs

I just ordered Karen Kay Buckley scissors. Will let you know what I think of them. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Kim

Blog Entries
    I agree the duck bills and some small sharp ones too

Quote Originally Posted by LisaGibbs View Post
    Hummm, I had never thought to buy the applique scissors for applique because my small ones worked so well. I might have to look into them. And yes, my family is so aware that if my scissors are ruined by paper, then I have no reason why not to cut up fishing lines, xBox games, etc. with them anymore.--LOL
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh that's a great idea! I'll remember that one if my son sneaks my scissors out of the room. LOL!!
    Kim

I use the applicate scissors for cutting threads close to the fabric. They have stayed sharp for yrs. Can't remember if really used them for applicate....???

Gingher duckbills are the best!

I love Karen Kay Buckley's scissors also. I have Ginghers and Fiskar, which are ok but these are outstanding since they don't push the fabric away as you cut, it grabs the fabric. Get the small pair for trimming and the large pair for cutting out larger pieces. You can buy them in quilt stores but I ordered mine directly from her.

Blog Entries
    as long as they are small- pointy-with sharp to the point blades they will work- whether or not they say (for applique) is really not an issue-
    for a long time i used a wonderful pair of manicure scissors- now i have a pair of duck-bills that i love- i have also used itty-bitty- 2 1/2" pointy scissors (bought for $2 at Michaels) that worked well for me for a long time- i still keep them on the end of my ironing board to clip threads...
    find sharp- pointy scissors-with the thinnest (narrowest) blades you can find- you do not have to pay extra to have something that says (applique)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I'll have to get a pair of these. I haven't been pleased with how close my little short scissors trim appliqué. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflies5518 View Post
    purchased Ginghers at Joanns with 50% off coupon
    Ginghers Rock!!!!!!
    FancyFoot

Got my Karen Kay Buckley scissors and I love them!! Even when cutting curves the scissors hold onto the fabric and it doesn't slip at all. I'd give them a 5 star rating.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    yes the "duck bill" scissors and great for applique. In fact, I recently bought a pair that are much smaller than those we normally see. They cut cleanly right up to the point where you want to trim the applique.
    I love the "Duck Bill" scissors by Gingher that I have TWO pair. I use them as my clipping scissors and I haven't made a boo boo by cutting into a quilt. I don't even applique !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort