Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique stitch? >

Applique stitch?

Applique stitch?

Old 09-26-2020, 05:03 PM

Default Applique stitch?

For those of you who like to do appliqué, when you are finishing the appliqué, what stitch do you use? I've used zig zag and blanket stitch.

Do you ever combine stitches into your appliqué? Like zig zag some things and blanket stitch others?
Old 09-26-2020, 11:29 PM

Yes, on one quilt, I satin stitched the flowers and blanket stitched the leaves.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:38 AM

I use a stem stitch. It looks similar to a zig zag stitch. The first stitch goes across and the second stitch goes down on an angle. It is shaped more like a "z". The size is adjusted according to the applique.

I like to use the decorative stitches to add interest. I used the brick one outside a little house wallhanging for a path.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I often use a tiny zigzag Ora blanket stitch. For embellishments I sometimes choose a different decorative stitch. I never use a satin stitch I don’t like the heaviness/ stiffness of a satin stitch.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:08 AM

I tried using the zig zag first and wasn't pleased with the results. I couldn't control the density when I went around corners (operator error I am sure - lol). I settled on blanket stitch and had good results with it. I wouldn't hesitate to mix them up for interest.

The last applique I did - I tried sewing by hand with a tiny needle and very thin thread. I actually really liked the look and will try that again.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

I just finished a cowboy rodeo little quilt and I like the look of the blanket stitch. I do vary the width and length according to the size of the applique so it is on there with the strength needed for it to survive many washings. I also like to change thread colors to match the piece I am sewing down. Although, I have used a slightly darker thread to suggest shadow on some applique I have done on other projects. Here is one I did some time ago, I haven't photographed the rodeo one as yet.
Attached Thumbnails p1020165.jpg  
Old 09-28-2020, 06:16 AM

I use a blanket stitch most of the time. It is very even and uniform when finished. I have a blanket stitch on my Janome and I make the stitch wider or longer according to what looks nicest on the project.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:50 AM

I've used zig-zag and satin, but now use the blanket stitch. I like the look of it best, and the coverage. I think whichever you choose, practice will give you better results.