Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique >

Applique

Applique

Old 10-02-2015, 06:27 AM

Smile Applique

I am wanting to learn how to applique, however, the last 2 years I've asked our LQS to have a class (which they've offered in the past) BUT this still don't offer one so I'm and looking for other ways to learn how to applique.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how/where I can learn how to applique? This is so frustrating. I promised my daughter over a year ago I would make her a KU Jayhawk appliqued quilt....but I don't know where to begin.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-02-2015 at 06:41 AM. Reason: remove rant
Old 10-02-2015, 06:34 AM

My favorite book is called Simply Successful Applique by Jeanne Sullivan. Published by C & T Publishing. You might be able to find it on Amazon. It gives very clear instructions on how to hand applique and also how to machine applique. Lots of pictures! There are a lot of tips and tricks in this book. I really learned a lot from this book! Good luck.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Lots of videos on You Tube. Just Google. All kinds of methods that are free and very informative. Nothing on TV? Watch the videos. Bookmark the ones that have "Parts 1-etc." that way you can get back to them. One thing about the videos, if you didn't catch something you can always go back to it.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:41 AM
IQ2

I've purchased (some "free") quite a few classes on Craftsy.com which I love. You can play the lessons over and over, rewind, ask questions, see what other folks are doing. It's really like attending a live class. I have found all of the instructors very knowledgeable. I just looked and they offer several applique classes. Here's a link to one that looks perfect for what you are asking about, and it looks like it's on sale. http://www.craftsy.com/class/20-fres...13013~skjfbazx

Last edited by IQ2; 10-02-2015 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-02-2015, 07:10 AM

There are several techniques for applique, including needleturn, starch & template, and backbasting and then there's fusible applique. I am including several links for different techniques. I have taken two hand applique classes and one machine applique class with Karen Kay Buckley and like the starch & template technique; however, I like the backbasting technique, too. I tend to use different techniques in a project, depending on the size of the piece.

http://www.appleblossomquilts.com/ Connie Sue Haidle
http://www.karenkaybuckley.com/index.phpKaren Kay Buckley
https://www.p3designs.com/shop/product/p3-172-off-the-block-applique-book/ Pearl Pereira
There are several applique retreats -- one in Dallas, TX and one called Applique By the Bay in Galveston. I know Pearl Pereira teaches at the Galveston retreat.

If there are any quilts shows near you, check to see if they offer classes. I'm lucky to live in the Houston area, so take classes from teachers I would never be able to any other way.

Jenny Doan did a 4-part applique tutorial which was very good, and I would also recommend the Craftsy classes.

This is a BOM I am currently working on. This particular block was done all with backbasting.
Attached Thumbnails 2015-05-25-graceful-rhapsody-block-5-sonata.jpg  
Old 10-02-2015, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

There are several techniques available. I was never good with needle turn. You can also machine quilt appliques. if it is one of these quilts:
https://www.google.com/search?q=KU+J...d+quilt&nfpr=1
I would suggest you do the machine applique. Not difficult at all. Eleanor Burns has u-tube videos on how to deal with fusible applique. I trace my design REVERSED on the fusible paper of the fusible and then I trim the excess off before ironing it onto the back of the fabric. Here is a project I am working on with Flip Flop sandals:
Attached Thumbnails flip-flop-back.jpg  
Old 10-02-2015, 08:15 AM

I learned from the book 'The New Applique Sampler: Learn to Applique The Piece O' Cake Way'. It's really wonderful, with concise directions and many close-up photos. They focus on needle turn but also provide directions for fusible.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:37 AM

Piece O' Cake website also has many great video tutorials and they're free!

http://pieceocake.com/
Old 10-02-2015, 09:47 AM

Come on over for the afternoon and we will work on it. Really though. Www.p3designs.com has little baskets with a single flower in it. And they are free. She has been doing 94 ? Little blocks of the month. Try starting with one of those. After you have watched all of the above mentioned videos.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 AM

Lots of really good advice here....i learnt mostly with YouTube as i live in remote Alaska, so many ways to do applique and you will find what works for you. I would start by simply practicing each method on scraps to find what i enjoyed doing the most before investing time,money and effort into anything big. Most of all have fun!