Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique technique for a min to zero waste >

Applique technique for a min to zero waste

Applique technique for a min to zero waste

Old 07-07-2020, 02:18 PM

Default Applique technique for a min to zero waste

I love applique, I learned freezer paper method more than 20 years ago from my ex mother in law. I've taken a long break so I'm quite out of the loop with things...
So the question here is, how does one applique in a minimal to zero waste lifestyle?
I don't like the idea of putting a glue on anything, so I wouldn't want to use those thin plastic templates.

Ideas?
Old 07-08-2020, 05:00 PM

The only thing I can think of would be needle turn. I never liked the method, but many people do. As for glue..that's how I do all of mine..I cut a scant 1/4" around, use a glue stick and turn the edges under, then a dab of glue here and there to tack it down where I want it. It's my favorite method, but each to his own.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
The only thing I can think of would be needle turn. I never liked the method, but many people do. As for glue..that's how I do all of mine..I cut a scant 1/4" around, use a glue stick and turn the edges under, then a dab of glue here and there to tack it down where I want it. It's my favorite method, but each to his own.
I will be honest, I'm not crazy about needle turn myself. I saw it and thought it is too easy to get your pieces in the wrong spot because you can't see the placement and where the pieces meet very well. I think I may end up sticking to my freezer paper method. It's more reliable.
Thank you for responding. =)
Old 07-16-2020, 09:03 PM

Back basting isn't much waste when done correctly. There are some people who use large pieces of cloth and cut it away, throwing it out...I save my scraps and reuse them in other projects. I also like it a lot because I'm not stuck sitting by the iron and can take all of it to go without pins, too. I love back basting!! There are several tutorials on it all over the internet, not sure about here on the quiltingboard.

I also learned freezer paper first and found it is still helpful for odd shaped small pieces and thin stems/basket handles but that's about all I use it for.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:45 PM

Check out the post titled"Which way?" today re appliquing with fusible interfacing.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Check out the post titled"Which way?" today re appliquing with fusible interfacing.
here is the link to it Which side