Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Thread >

Applique Thread

Applique Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
Superior also have nice sets of Bottom Line bobbins in variety of colors for hand applique.
Here is a set of 35 colors on bobbins for $39:
http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...rs-4/products/

This is my very favorite thread for applique. It stays in the needle and is much slower to shred or tangle than cotton or silk.

It's very fine and melts right into the applique piece.

I try to match the color, but if I don't have exactly the right one, I will use a neutral - cool or warm and dark or light - and that usually blends right into the applique fabric, too.

I've tried Masterpiece, YLI 100wt Silk, YLI Soft Touch, Mettler, Aurifil 50 & 60 wt and several others, but I use Bottom Line every time I have a choice. :)

As soon as I'm done with Christmas Windows, I will get started on P3's Baltimore Christmas - I've been looking at the Halloween one, too - hubs' favorite holiday. :) Hope you'll share pictures as you go - good luck!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:52 PM

I do hand applique and some of the women in our group love the silk thread, some love the cotton. I was always told that you should use the same kind of fiber to sew your applique with as the fabric. For example - cotton fabric-cotton thread- then the thread is not stronger than the fabric. Some believe that in time the polyester or even silk threads may cut the cotton fabric.