Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique thread >

applique thread

applique thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:46 AM

I use either silk thread (100 weight), or 60 weight cotton. I use the silk thread most often because it's hard to find 60 weight cotton locally, and with the cotton I'm more comfortable matching the thread with the applique color. For silk thread, I use neutrals: cream, beige, light gray and black. The spools of silk are expensive, but they last forever...well, almost.

Janet
Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I assume you're talking about hand applique and don't want the thread to show. I like to use 100 wt silk thread, but Nancy Chong, who is definitely an expert, uses 50 wt. Aurifil - http://prqc.com/thread_applique.htm. Other people have their own preferences. Some people match the color of the top fabric, and others rely on neutrals (grey, cream) for everything. No rules, just try a few different things and see what works best for you.
I use aurifil and love it...I took a class from Nancy Chong and her applique is gorgeous
Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 AM

Applique silk is very expensive and I do have many colors but the one I use most is YLI Silk thread number 235. This is a medium neutral and just sinks into most colors it is used with.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 AM

I am surly not an expert, but do quite a bit of applique. I use cotton 60w, usually white for most work, and the ladder stitch, which hides the stitches nicely. I do use a darker thread if using very dark fabric. Good luck withe your applique.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 AM

I use 60 wt cotton presencia but also find that needle makes a difference in your stitch. I use the gold needles by clover which I find gives a nice small stitch and fits your hand. Try different ones to see what works for you.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 AM

I use YLI silk thread, expensive but worth it. Tire silk thread didn't work for me at all (snarled at the drop of a hat.)

I find that buying the duller colors works very well for hiding the threads; the brighter YLI colors have more limited use (you have to match the fabric pretty perfectly to hide the thread when the thread is bright.)
Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

I use YLI silk thread set in the neutral colors. It disappears in the fabric. I have the Superior Donut too but seldom use that thread for applique after using the silk thread first and knowing how wonderful it is. I need to find out if Superior has the silk thread in a bobbin donut. I have used Aurifil because I have a lot of it bought on clearance. Any thread that has a quilters's name on it will be their favorite thread to use so I don't go by that in choosing thread. I used Glide thread for hand stitching binding on my last quilt and I really like it for handsewing.